software development kit, components

Posted by Admin on 26-Apr-2011 03:49

What  will be nice to have, if you ever consider making this more than a nice  show-case sample application, is to break it down in multiple  components starting with a 'core' software development kit to build on  and lots of small and specific components.

If you can get some community  involvement in defining the interfaces then there is a great chance that  part of it are going to be used easily either directly or being  extended (or even totally different implementation), once the interfaces  are defined everybody can go on and implement differently if they see  fit but still having the option to easily interchange components that  adhere to the same interface.

There are a number of 'core'  functionality that you can split in a 'software development kit':  exceptions, collections, data streams, serialization... then a number of  general purpose services like logging, localization, data access...

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Apr-2011 11:42

Note that if one is going to evolve AE to demonstrate how all of the Progress products work together ... shouldn't the PSDN SDK also include all of those products?

Posted by Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:53

Well, if you're referring to the evaluation version  then the AE can be packed with all necessary products in the same  way... as evaluation, could be probably used in pre-sales engagements as  well for show-case of all those products and how it can be integrated.

I has more referring to the low-end 'core' (framework) components that  can be used in day to day development by everyone and the fact that  maybe PSC could step in and define some OERA components at interface  level although a full implementation wouldn't hurt... but having the  model and the interface defined one can start implement something along  the line and there could be more implementation that could actually be  interoperable, as opposed to many totally different implementations that  can be used only as a whole... it's a simple re-usability issue, break  that in small packages and define the interfaces with external systems  and then we can actually use one implementation or another. And this is  going to be easier to manage if there ever will be some sort of  community involvement, one can't be involved in all areas from core  functionality, data access, user interface, messaging, bpm... better try  to break things, define the 'interface' between them and find 'owners'  for each component/module.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Apr-2011 11:27

No, I was referring to the PSDN SDK which some of us pay good money for.  The OE licenses it provides are fine except that the .NET components are an eval license limited to something like 90 days.  The Sonic license is a bit kludgy ... all the functionality is there, but it is an eval license and thus is missing a number of options which one would use in setting it up for production, so no opportunity to experiement and practice with a real setup.  And, so far, that's it.  None of the rest of the Progress products.

As you can tell from the OERA OSI effort, I am very much in favor of developing components, but I also very much don't think it should be a case of PSC doing something and then giving it to us, even if there is then some mechanism for feedback.  I think we need the feedback from the people who actually need to use this stuff in production systems from the beginning.

This thread is closed