Source control and code drops [from Re: Feedback & Contr

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:06

Distributed SCM is definitively the way to go if you're looking in having more dispersed contributors, if the contribution is going to be through some form of code submission and integrated by you then any SCM will do I guess. Mercurial is indeed a great tool, I've found it more easily to use than Git although both require some shift in the way one think when it comes about SCM... kinda your mileage might vary, peoples that like to think in check-out(even lock)/check-in terms might find some discomfort with DSCM.

Any source control you put in place you'll still have to provide some sort of archive based releases for peoples that just want to take the code and use it, some release management with versioning could help.

As for documenting for low-level developers like me UML diagrams and inline code documenting will do... check out Natural Docs, really good for API level technical documentation. Videos and webex presentations is something that some prefers, I do not find enough time to get through those and as there are no bookmarks and ability to jump from one place to another easily I find those of less use, just personal preference though.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 22-Apr-2011 17:33

marianedu schrieb:

check out Natural Docs, really good for API level technical documentation.

Did you configure it to work well with procedural and OO ABL code? Did you set that up as one or two languages?

Posted by Admin on 23-Apr-2011 01:23

Natural Docs is more about 'natural' documentation, as long as you write  the comments the way it expect you can do pretty much what you want  with it... there is no 'full-language' support for Progress ABL,  although it can't be that hard to have that implemented (python code  does not kill) I haven't found the drive to do that. As I've said, it's  more about documenting that simply scraping the code and get the list of  internal entries (methods/procedures)... if those are not documented at  all, what use one can find from simply having them listed there?

Posted by jmls on 23-Apr-2011 01:55

I have since switched over to AutoDox2

(http://www.joanju.com/autodox2/index.php) which uses proparse and

javadocs, I believe that some portions of Progress are using it.

Posted by Admin on 23-Apr-2011 06:08

just out of curiosity my good sir, in which way is it any different or better?... other than not being open-source

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Apr-2011 09:48

marianedu wrote:

just out of curiosity my good sir, in which way is it any different or better?... other than not being open-source

AETF uses AutoDox2, largely because it just works. It produces output that's comparable with javadocs. At the time we didn't have the resources (time, priorities) to get another solution working.

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 26-Apr-2011 03:29

Thanks Peter, nothing wrong with it... I too love ANTLR and John did a  great job with the Progress grammar. Joke let aside I knew Julian tried  Natural Docs at some point, that's why I've ask what is that AutoDox2  provides more to make it a better choice?

Posted by jmls on 26-Apr-2011 03:55

AutoDox2 is much more orientated towards progress - no language

definitions to contend with, and packages / classes are automatically

dealt with. So are method names etc.

Oh, and I also want to support a Progress community member

There are a couple of things that came up as a result of my testing

and using AutoDox2 that John Green (the author) got right onto for me,

so support is second to none.

Posted by Peter Judge on 02-May-2011 09:12

Oh, and I also want to support a Progress community member

There are a couple of things that came up as a result of my testing

and using AutoDox2 that John Green (the author) got right onto for me,

so support is second to none.

+1 and  +1 (one fore each paragraph )

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 02-May-2011 10:23

good to know that, this means there is still hope for progress related developer tools

This thread is closed