New Poll

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 18-Aug-2006 02:38

Hi

You'll hopefully see I've created a poll to gather some feedback to help drive some of our planning for materials going forwards. Following on from the great conversations in the Architecture Reactions thread, the poll asks which of the two material choices we should do first.

1) Guidance aimed at helping to address the 'fear factor' or n-tier

2) Guidance aimed at helping create SOA/SOBA

So let us know your vote. If you don't vote, you can't complain

Thanks

Mike

All Replies

Posted by Alon Blich on 18-Aug-2006 04:46

The next "cure all" solution been there more then a few times

Can you recommend a book on the subject.

I found that to be the best solution, at least for me. TIA

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Aug-2006 12:34

For books, I recommend Dave Chappell's ESB book for the whole ESB/SOA thing and Fowler's Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture for the overview and Hohpe & Woolf Enterprise Integration Patterns for messaging architectures.

Posted by Admin on 18-Aug-2006 13:24

Fowler's Patterns of

Enterprise Application Architecture for the overview

If you want to read a book with lots of loose ends, you should read that book To get an impression of his patterns, see a brief summary at http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/

Theo.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Aug-2006 13:41

You expect a book of patterns to read like a novel?

I found it quite an inspiration.

Posted by Alon Blich on 19-Aug-2006 07:42

Actually, the link convinced me to get the book

I've just ordered Dave Chappell's and Fowler's book. Thanks

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 21-Aug-2006 02:45

Another one you see on a few desks these days (I know it's on mine) is Service Oriented Architecture (SOA): Concepts, Design & Technology by Thomas Erl.

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 22-Aug-2006 03:45

Another one you see on a few desks these days (I know

it's on mine) is Service Oriented Architecture (SOA):

Concepts, Design & Technology by Thomas Erl.

It's amazing how these recommendations get around.

Erl's previous book - "SOA: A Field Guide to Integrating XML and Web Services" was a lot more real-world/less conceptual. I am hoping that he will release a second edition of this book (and perhaps he will) because the original (2004) probably needs an update (new standards, new technology). Also, I would like to see the theories and concepts he covers in "SOA: C, D, & T" put into tangible practical examples (read implementations) especially with regards to all the WS-* standards he's promoting. Frankly, the jury is well and truly out as to whether all of these concepts and standards can be implemented in a practical way.

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 22-Aug-2006 04:00

Another one you see on a few desks these days (I

know

it's on mine) is Service Oriented Architecture

(SOA):

Concepts, Design & Technology by Thomas Erl.

It's amazing how these recommendations get around.

In a good or bad way

>... Frankly, the jury

is well and truly out as to whether all of these

concepts and standards can be implemented in a

practical way.

True, and that unfortunately is the problem with any new emergent concept or technology.

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 31-Aug-2006 02:01

Here's an useful link that allows you to download 75 Chapters from certain books, the top selection being books on Architecture so you can get a flavor..

http://newsletters.fawcette.com/eprods/books/

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 31-Aug-2006 14:31

Here's an useful link that allows you to download 75

Chapters from certain books, the top selection being

books on Architecture so you can get a flavor..

http://newsletters.fawcette.com/eprods/books/

In addition to standards by Erl, Fowler, and the GoF, I would definitely recommend "Understanding Enterprise SOA" by Pulier, Taylor, & Gaffney as well as "Enterprise SOA: Service-Oriented Architecture Best Practices" by Krafzig, Banke, & Slama.

Another good reference not on this list is "Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Compass: Business Value, Planning, and Enterprise Roadmap" by Bieberstein, Bose, Fiammante, et al.

This thread is closed