Can the AutoEdge source code and context help be posted sepa

Posted by Alon Blich on 04-Nov-2006 12:37

Since AutoEdge won't install unless you're running the latest 10.1a release, which I imagine not everyone is, can we atleast have access to the source code and context help separately for reference.

The OERA documentation in the getting start series is, I think, on the abstract side and might give some wrong or confusing ideas, it'd be nice to have a more complete reference to go along with the documentation that is available to everyone. Thanks

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Nov-2006 13:11

Good idea. Not only does everyone not have the current release ... for some strange reason ... but I expect there are a lot of people who won't have AppServer, IIS, Webspeed, etc. available on their workstations and, even if some of these are available on servers, they aren't necessarily available for this kind of thing. It is nice to run the application, but the code alone is quite interesting.

Posted by cstiller on 05-Nov-2006 16:38

We removed the requirement of IIS. If you don't have Webspeed, AppServer, Crystal, .NET etc installed, you'll still get all the source code and documentation.

However, it's a valid point that not everyone has 10.1A01 installed yet. Let me see what we can do about that...

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 05-Nov-2006 16:43

However, it's a valid point that not everyone has

10.1A01 installed yet. Let me see what we can do

about that...

The EXE I had complained about not having the latest service pack installed and quit.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Nov-2006 17:37

Fortunately, updating to SP01 or SP02 is a small requirement compared to IIS, AppServer, Sonic, etc.

Posted by jtownsen on 06-Nov-2006 02:08

For anyone who wants to install AutoEdge, but doesn't have OpenEdge 10.1A yet, you could download the .

The need for AppServer and WebSpeed to be installed should not cause any problems as the OpenEdge development licenses include the ability to start 2 agents for each (AppServer and WebSpeed) for testing purposes.

Posted by Alon Blich on 08-Nov-2006 14:09

Has anything changed ? with all due respect, why is it such a challenge ? There's no need to over engineer, there's no need for an installer, just a zip file of the source code along with the rest of AutoEdge attachments would be just great !

BTW, I have downloaded the evaluation kit but the 60 days have already past and before I had a chance to seriously tryout the new features, personally, I don't see the point in it in the current form.

I could format the drive or find another PC but why should we hack it just to get into the source ? This way we can all take part, not just a small percentage running the the very latest version and patches ? Thanks guys

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 08-Nov-2006 14:21

Here they are, just fresh from having posted this elegant set of rich code ... and there you are wanting them to tear it apart and post it in pieces!

Seriously, though, I think you are right to want to be able to just see the code. While it is nice to try out the application and neat to have the live documentation, in the end there is a lot to learn and investigate in the code itself, including some things that one might want to use elsewhere.

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 08-Nov-2006 15:10

Based upon the feedback we've received we are currently investigating the best way of offering this capability, be that just a zip file or a modified installer to simply unpack to code. Once we have looked into the options we'll let you know and post an update.

Posted by rotherma on 09-Nov-2006 11:27

A zip file (http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-57428) is now available for those of you that wish to review the source code but do not have OpenEdge 10.1A01 installed.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Nov-2006 11:37

Kudos! Nothing like rapid response!

Posted by Alon Blich on 09-Nov-2006 15:55

Fantastic, thanks you very much !

It really is extremely interesting, again, thanks

This thread is closed