Disk implementation

Posted by Admin on 16-Mar-2007 06:36

Hello,

I plan to migrate our V9 DB from AIX server to OPE10.1B on Win 2K3 platform.

I read in the OE documentation that Progress recommends use of RAID10. I read also the importance of the data layout and specially the distribution of the data across the storage areas.

I would like to know if this data layout is so important in case of RAID10 implementation. Because the data are stripped through several disks at OS level (2x4 disks in my case), I don't see how to affect physically the extents to the disks, specially for index areas an primary recovery areas. I think this doesn't make sense.

Could it be better in performance to have a RAID10 volume for the data and a RAID1 for the indexes and BI?

What is your opinion about that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Mar-2007 10:57

You would probably be better asking this question on the database administration forum.

The short answer is that distribution across storage areas is about more than just spreading the load. It is also about having the correct characteristics of each area for the tables and indexes in it and the advantages of being able to manage the storage areas separately.

Posted by Admin on 19-Mar-2007 05:22

Thank you for your answer. Of course I know the advantage to manage the areas separately but I would have your opinion about the performance aspect.

However, I will post my question on the DB Admin forum

This thread is closed