AutoEdge - Installation issues

Posted by cstiller on 03-Nov-2006 10:01

Use this thread to ask questions about the installation process or report issues you are running into.

Note that we just released a small update (1.2.1) http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?externalID=1696, so if you have downloaded 1.2 and you are experiencing some issues - these might already be fixed.

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 03-Nov-2006 14:18

First, it didn't like my unpatched version of OE 10.1, so I had to download and install the patch to SP2.

Now it complains about not finding IIS and quits.

I don't have a web server on this machine...

what else is "required" to be present in order to get this to work?

Posted by cstiller on 03-Nov-2006 14:23

Now it complains about not finding IIS and quits.

Are you using version 1.2 or 1.2.1? We posted the 1.2.1 today, and this should install without IIS being installed...

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 03-Nov-2006 14:24

I'm not sure. I'll re-download the binary and try again.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Nov-2006 14:53

One of the things that might be useful is to invert the dependency chart. I.e., say, if you don't have X, you won't be able to do B and C. Maybe a table with features on one side and dependencies on the other side. It is pretty clear that one has to have a pretty rich installation in order to run everything. I'm sure that there is more than one developer out there that is thinking in terms of installing this on their workstation ... and they aren't going to be able to run much of it there.

Posted by cstiller on 05-Nov-2006 17:01

Good idea. Not sure if we'll do a "formal" one, but here's a brief rundown from the top of my head:

10.1A01 - Need this to run anything (with the exception of documentation). Also need to install it and get the source code (looking to change that)

IIS - Need this to run the Web interface. Also need to run LiveDoc directly from the screens (you can still run LiveDoc from the start menu without it). You can use a different web server for these two items, but you need to manually configure the virtual directories

WebSpeed - Need this to run the web interface (doh!). Still get the source code for this part without Webspeed installed.

.NET framework 1.1 - Need this to run the Kiosk application. Still get the source if you don't have this installed.

Crystal reports - Need this to run the report example. Need the developer version if you want to open the reports and change them. Still get the source code... well, you get the idea now

Java Servlet Engine - Need this to use the WebServices / run the pocket PC example (can get the source code without it)

Active Sync - Need this if you want to connect a PocketPC to your machine to use the pocket PC example. You could also use any other network connection (WiFi, Bluetooth, GPRS etc) but chances are if you have a PocketPC and know how to set this stuff up, you already have Active Sync anyway

PocketPC emulator - You need this if you want to run the PocketPC example but don't have a PocketPC. If you do have a PocketPC, don't bother with the emulator. It's really slow (nothing we can do about it) and you'll be happier running it on you device.

I think that's about it. Let me know if I missed anything and I'll try to remember what you need it for!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Nov-2006 17:39

I still think the matrix would be a good idea ... maybe you can even come up with something from EA?

Posted by rotherma on 09-Nov-2006 11:30

A zip file (ftp://ftp.progress.com/pub/AppliedTechnology/AEInstall/autoedge.zip) is now available for those of you that wish to review the source code but do not have OpenEdge 10.1A01 installed.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Nov-2006 16:14

Is there any particular guidelines about getting the Sonic part set up. Yes, I have the manual, but I mean in terms of needing to install Sonic with all defaults or something. When I installed Sonic, I supplied meaningful names for a few things, like the domain, where I could guess at meaningful answers, but left the rest default. Now, when I try to follow the directions in the AutoEdge Sonic doc, I can't get the Workbench to start successfully. When I try to start the Management Console, I get

Failed to connect to Connecction1

(cintegrity.com@tcp://localhost:2506)

Could not establish a connection on the specified URL(s).

Failed to connect to config server: "Failed to connect to

the management broker due to authentication failure;

connection state=1, FT-enabled=false'

Authentication makes me think it has to do with user name and password, but I don't recall establishing any. I am logged in as Administrator and using that with or without the normal password.

I might note that I am a complete newbiew when it comes to actually installing Sonic.

Posted by cstiller on 23-Nov-2006 10:05

Try username and password both "Administrator" (or "administrator", not 100% sure). That should be the default when installing Sonic Workbench

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Nov-2006 10:18

It is defaulting to Administrator. That is what isn't working.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Nov-2006 17:05

When 10.1B ships, will there be instructions on how to move the AutoEdge example to 10.1B or is this simply a question of needing to do a fresh install again. I made a brief trial of trying to connect to one of the databases and it won't do it without truncating the BI, but I didn't really want to do that until I am more confident that it will run on 10.1B.

Posted by cstiller on 08-Dec-2006 06:06

When 10.1B ships, will there be instructions on how

to move the AutoEdge example to 10.1B or is this

simply a question of needing to do a fresh install

again.

While you could make all the required changes (databases, AppServers, WebSpeed, ini files, pf files, etc) manually, the easiest option should be to just re-install. I haven't personally tested 10.1B with AutoEdge yet, but I'll let you know here if we find anything that doesn't work!

Of course, if anyone was brave enough to test it on 10.1B already - did you run into any issues?

Posted by Thomas Wurl on 12-Dec-2006 12:51

I had the same problem.

You have to use Administrator both User and Password.

I found this in the doc: Sonic\MQ7.0\samples\AdvancedSecurity\readme.htm

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 12-Dec-2006 13:06

I tried both with and without the password, with no luck.

I have let it slide long enough now that I think I will uninstall and reinstall in order to have some idea where I am. It would be nice if there was a neophytes guide which indicated what answers to make during the initial install of Sonic.

Posted by cstiller on 15-Dec-2006 01:43

I'm no expert on Sonic either, so I always leave all settings at their default when I install it. But I will setup a new machine later today and look out for anything that I might change but don't remember right now.

IIRC, if you install MQ and ESB, there should not be a username / password (but IIRC correctly it will still work if you supply one). If you install workbench (which is what we used for AutoEdge and what the installation docs assume) the username and password should be "Administrator".

Maybe the error message is just misleading and something is wrong with the connection info in workbench? Maybe you changed some values? Try this:

Start the domain manager directly (start - Sonic Software - Sonic Workbench 7.0 - Start Domain Manager)? You should see two important lines:

" (info) "Domain1.DomainManager" starting..." (at the top)

" ID=MgmtBroker (info) TCP_ACCEPTOR: accepting connections on tcp://cstiller-vm-2:2506" (at the bottom)

Then start the management console directly (Sonic Software - Sonic Workbench 7.0 - Sonic Workbench Components - Sonic ESB - Management Console). Put in the info from the strings above (mainly domain name and connection URL - "Domain1" and "tcp://cstiller-vm-2:2506" in my example here).

Now try this with the default (user "Administrator" and blank password") and with a password (both user and pass "Administrator"). Hopefully one of the two should work... If not, I'm not sure where to go from here, but again I'm no Sonic expert so someone else might have more suggestions.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Dec-2006 11:47

I'll give this a try as soon as I can ... a disk died in my workstation and I am currently waiting to see it it can be recovered or if I am going to have to rebuild the whole machine from scratch.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 10-Jan-2007 13:54

Documentation bug.

In OpenEdge Application Example AutoEdge Installation and Release Notes page 6 the incorrect URL is given for the Crystal customized report viewer. It should be:

Index of ftp://ftp.progress.com/pub/AppliedTechnology/AEInstall/CrystalXIrdc.msi

The October 06 version, at least, omits the AEInstall part of the path.

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 12-Jan-2007 07:41

Documentation bug.

In OpenEdge Application Example AutoEdge Installation

and Release Notes page 6 the incorrect URL is given

for the Crystal customized report viewer. It should

be:

Index of

ftp://ftp.progress.com/pub/AppliedTechnology/AEInstall

/CrystalXIrdc.msi

The October 06 version, at least, omits the AEInstall

part of the path.

Thanks.

Posted by rotherma on 12-Jan-2007 07:52

I have posted an updated version of AutoEdge at http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?categoryID=298&externalID=1696. The installation executable as well as the zip file are new. This version works with 10.1A01 and 10.1B. The document bug found this week has been fixed as well.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 12-Jan-2007 17:00

So, as far as I could tell, I completed all of the installation process without any problems, but now when I try to bring up the Consumer screen with

http://localhost/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsAutoEdgeHQ/autoedge/home.p

I am getting a page not found.

Where do I look to see what is not what?

I can bring up he .NET form.

Posted by cstiller on 15-Jan-2007 02:54

Have you used WebSpeed on that machine before? If you get a "real" page not found (the white one from the webserver, not the yellow one from WebSpeed) chances are something is not setup correctly.

Try starting the sample broker that comes with the product install (launch Progress Explorer, connect to locahost, login, go to WebSpeed, select wsbroker1, right click and select start).

Then go to your webbrowser and run "http://localhost/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/ping" . If you don't get a "WebSpeed Transaction Server successfully accessed" message, you need to fix configuration.

Here are some pointers (assuming you use IIS):

- check that IIS is running (right click on "my computer", select manage, Services and Applications, Internet Information Service, WebSites, Default WebSite

- check that there is a scripts directory (that's one of the options during install of IIS, but I think it's not checked by default). If it isn't, I think the easiest way to add it with all the proper setting is to run the windows installer again and then select that option. The default directory is c:\inetpub\scripts

- check that the cgiip.exe file from the Progress Install is in that directory, and that it is the correct version (e.g. 10.1B instead of 10.1A). Just copy it from the DLC/bin directory. If you need both 10.1A and 10.1B WebSpeed on the same machine, rename one and change the filename in all URLs (should be only the one in the start menu for AutoEdge)

LEt me know if this solves the issue or not...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Jan-2007 12:05

This didn't work, but after finding that there was no scripts

directory, I went to the add Windows Components and drilled down in

details until I found the check box for it, check it, and the

directory appeared. I copied over both cgiip files. Now that page

works and I can run the consumer web example with no problem.

Posted by d.cook on 31-May-2007 19:48

Have downloaded 'AutoEdgeSetup 20070119.exe' and attempted to install, but get:

"This version of AutoEdge requires OpenEdge 10.1A01 or higher"

Installed is:

OpenEdge 10.1A Shared Network Installation (10.1A02)

PROGRESS 9.1D Shared Network Installation

Windows XP SP2

Posted by fbe on 01-Jun-2007 08:55

Struth! I'll have a look and get back to ya! Wait! Shared network install??? What does this mean: did you run netsetup? Or are you running OpenEdge 'manually' from a network share? Probably some registry setting problems. I'll have a look.

Posted by fbe on 05-Jun-2007 06:56

Hi,

I have looked at the installation source and your issue seems related to the fact that the NETSETUP or your installation does not have a registry key defined for the OpenEdge installation (and service pack level).

The install checks the following registry key(s) for the OpenEdge version installed and get the DLC value:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSC\PROGRESS\\Startup

If it finds an OpenEdge 10.1A installation, it checks for the Service Pack level in the following key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSC\PROGRESS\10.1A\ServicePack\Level

For OpenEdge 10.1B, no Service Pack level check is performed.

If possible, can you send me your registry information of your local machine setup (HKLM\SOFTWARE\PSC if available and the HKCU\SOFTWARE\PSC) for Progress?

Posted by d.cook on 06-Jun-2007 18:06

Thanks Frank, I have sent the two registry exports directly to you.

This thread is closed