The 10.1B OpenEdge Reference Architecture manual has a link in it to the following white paper - "Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: The Service Interface Layer". However, when I select the specified link (http://psdn.progress.com/library/docs/oera3_serviceinterface_wp.pdf) I get nothing and I am re-directed to the PSDN home page. I also tried searching for the said document with no luck.
Oh, and while we are on the subject of missing white papers, I also found it very difficult to get hold of the following white paper (that or I seriously need to invest in some stronger coffee!! :P)....
Building a .NET Interface to Business Entities
Anyone, know where I can find these papers (Mike/John?)
These would need to be fixed, I forwarded it to documentation group.
All Principles materials are here:
Are you looking for this one?
This document talks about the Service Interface design. The following document talks about the Service Interface implementation as done in AutoEdge:
Thx for this Frank but although the papers you listed do deal with the same issues they don't seem to form part of the collection of 8 papers posted by John Sadd.
They are (the ones that are missing is highlighted in bold):
1. Implementing the OpenEdge® Reference Architecture: 1 Introduction(oera1_introduction_wp.pdf)
2. Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: 2 Business Entities and Data Access Objects (oera2_businessentities_wp.pdf)
3. Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: 3 The Service Interface Layer (oera3_serviceinterface_wp.pdf)
4. Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: 4 Using Advanced ProDataSet Language Features (oera4_advlanguage_wp.pdf)
5. Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: 5 Using an Unmanaged Data Store (oera5_unmanageddatastore_wp.pdf)
6. Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: 6 Building a .NET Interface to Business Entities (oera6_dotnetui_wp.pdf)
7. Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: 7 Advanced Business Logic (oera7_advbuslogic_wp.pdf)
8. Implementing the OpenEdge Reference Architecture: 8 Context Management (oera8_context_wp.pdf)
So, in summary I am still looking for the missing two papers. I know there is some cleaning exercise going on that should fix some missing links. Any idea as to when this will be complete?
The link to the service interface paper appears to have been corrected today (things get moved around from time to time).
The paper 6 on a .NET interface was, I believe, removed some time ago because of technical difficulties and may still be awaiting revision. The focus of that paper on setting up a connection between ABL data and logic and a .NET user interface is of course being addressed in a major way in the upcoming support for the new Advanced UI in OE10.2, with the ability to treat .NET classes -- including, significantly, user interface controls -- as part of an ABL application, including binding ABL temp-table and ProDataSet data to those controls. Stay tuned.
Thx for the update John!
Can't wait for 10.2!!