State-free vs. Stateless Appserver

Posted by ojfoggin on 19-Jan-2010 03:53

Hi Guys,

About 6 months ago I migrated our system from a badly implemented Client - AppServer connection (where the connection was established every time information was needed and then dropped completely once it was done) to one that it was designed for (establish connection at login and keep that connection until logout).

It has now been rolled out and put live and is working perfectly.

However, as usual, I am not happy until I have it running as best it can be and I've been looking at the difference between stateless and state-free AppServers.

Currently the AppServer is running in Stateless operating mode but from looking at Table 1-4 in the OpenEdge AppServer PDF manual it looks like state-free would be best suited for our implementation.

From what I can gather it looks like a stateless server is one where each time the connection from the client to the agent is activated a script is run to establish the state of the server from the previous connection and then reset on deactivation.

However, we are not using the activation or deactivation programs as we have no state across the system.  The only procedure we use is the StartUp procedure to set up some super procedures at startup.

Given this, I am guessing we can just hit the button that switches to state-free?

Do I need to check anything else?

What additional advantages would we get from our system by doing this given the systems we are using will have up to 300 concurrent users?

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 19-Jan-2010 15:06

Replies to this thread can be found here: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/message/78428#78428

This thread is closed