Amazon EC2 performance

Posted by jmls on 17-Dec-2010 14:37

Looking at completely moving our dev infrastructure to the cloud, and set up a datacenter 64 bit Large server on EC2.

Performance is terrible. There is a distinct lag between doing stuff and seeing it happen on the screen. We've tried rdp from XP, windows 7, vista , all have the same issues. This is *without* progress installed

I don't think that it's the network connection, as we have a 100MB leased line, and everything else is still as fast as excrement off a digging device.

Is there anyone with any clues ? We've tried three different images now, with the same issues.

Julian

All Replies

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 17-Dec-2010 14:50

Are you using EMEA or the US as your Region?

I've not experienced lag in the way your describing it.  I've had the odd moment but that's what it's been, an odd moment rather than the norm. Have you tried RDP to non Amazon machines to see how that performs?

Posted by jmls on 17-Dec-2010 16:12

RDP to everywhere but Amazon is great.

We're using the EMEA region

Julian

On 17 December 2010 20:50, Mike Ormerod

Posted by asthomas on 17-Dec-2010 16:20

I haven't had problems with the smaller images.

From a license point of view, are you able to do this though? Can you get the necessary TS CALs to use the EC2 machines for development?

regards

Thomas

Posted by jmls on 17-Dec-2010 16:22

Yeah, we point the server to our ts licence server back in the office.

Julian

On 17 December 2010 22:21, Thomas Hansen

Posted by asthomas on 17-Dec-2010 16:28

Are you sure that is legit? I've been wanting to find a way to do the same thing. We are very dependent on using TS for development - so we need more licenses than just the admin CAL that comes with EC2.

Posted by jmls on 17-Dec-2010 16:42

I can't see why it's not legit - we've bought TS licenses per user,

the user logs on to TS A (internal) or TS B (external), and grabs the

appropriate licence from our licence server - what's the difference if

TS B was internal ?

Julian

On 17 December 2010 22:29, Thomas Hansen

Posted by asthomas on 17-Dec-2010 16:47

The fact that MS requires that you have both Windows CALs and TS CALs for the server. You have the TS CALs - but not the Windows CALs, as Amazon is using some sort of SPLA license with MS to provide you with the OS license, but as an admin user.

At least that is how it works on in-house servers or serves we host ourselves. We have yet to find out how we can use out own licenses or SPLA licenses on something like Amazon.

So I am just curios about whether or not this is a usable setup for development. Anyone at PSC know anything about this?

Sorry - I am hijacking your thread here...

/Thomas

Posted by jmls on 17-Dec-2010 17:02

Hmm, I wait too, then Another reason to move to Ajax and html5 and linux

Julian

On 17 December 2010 22:48, Thomas Hansen

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 13-Apr-2011 03:33

Just curious, how did your performance issues got resolved?

This thread is closed