OpenEdge 11.7.5 on CentOS 8.x and RHEL 8.x

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 10-Dec-2019 18:47

A client recently asked whether we support deployment on CentOS 8.x. They are planning an upgrade to 11.7.5.

My typical response is that we support what Progress supports.  So I looked more closely at the current state of information about OpenEdge platform support for RHEL and CentOS 7.x and 8.x.  The information I found in the PAG and KB was, in a word, inconsistent.

Depending on which articles you read, or which *pages* of the PAG you read, RHEL 8.x may be supported (on 11.7.5+), or not.

I have summarized what I found in the attached document.

Takeaways:

• The 11.x PAG, which should be the most definitive and up-to-date reference on platform support, is inconsistent (see pages 4 and 22).
  • Several KBs exist on Linux platform support and they are out of date.
  • If this information is going to be provided in KBs, perhaps there needs to be a mechanism to either stale-date these articles (e.g. say that they are not to be relied upon after some future date) or revisit them to update their content.
  • Some of the language in the current (Sept 5 2019) 11.x PAG related to Linux is out of date.  It refers to future certifications on RHEL 6.5 and 6.6 (page 22).

Questions:

• Will OE 11.7.5+ be certified on CentOS 8.x?  It is not listed in the PAG under "Upcoming OpenEdge Certifications".
  • If so, when should we expect this to be completed?

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/21/6305.RHEL-and-CentOS-support.xlsx:320:240]

All Replies

This thread is closed