Are there recommendations for connection retry -ct , are the

Posted by cverbiest on 13-Jun-2019 15:36

The documentation states -ct has a default of 50 and a minimum of 1.

In the pkb I found that in v8 the value used to be 5 or 10.

I'd like to set the parameter as low as possible but without introducing new issues.

Are there drawbacks to setting this value to 1 ?

What are the situations in LAN in which the first connection would fail and a subsequent try to succeed ? other than somebody starting the database server in the 50 seconds it takes to retry 50 times.

https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/dpspr/connection-retry-attempts-(-ct).html

Posted by gus bjorklund on 13-Jun-2019 16:16

networks are much more reliable now than when this was implemented in version 4. coonnections on a LAN hardly ever fail due to sporadic network dropouts or message corruption. so set it to 1 or 2. if two retries dont work, more won't either.

(in 30 years, i've never seen anyone actually use this parameter)

All Replies

Posted by gus bjorklund on 13-Jun-2019 16:16

networks are much more reliable now than when this was implemented in version 4. coonnections on a LAN hardly ever fail due to sporadic network dropouts or message corruption. so set it to 1 or 2. if two retries dont work, more won't either.

(in 30 years, i've never seen anyone actually use this parameter)

Posted by cverbiest on 14-Jun-2019 06:22

I didn't know the parameter existed, I was under the impression we needed to change some OS TCP/IP parameter to make connect fail faster.

I  have some use cases for it.

• Development environment that is not always up & running.
  • Secundairy databases that are not vital
  • even for the vital databases it seems like a good thing if connection failure is reported faster

Posted by gus bjorklund on 14-Jun-2019 13:40

> On Jun 13, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Gus Bjorklund wrote:

>

> so set it to 1 or 2.

someone in development will have to verify that this parameter actually does something. when orgiginally implemented there were a bunch of other network protocols and several flavors of tcp/ip. now only the standard tcp/ip remains.

Posted by tim on 14-Jun-2019 14:16

I can confirm that -ct still does something. As mentioned above, if not set, the default is 50 tries. I'm guessing that -ct stands for "connection try", but functionally, it really is "connection retry". The AVM attempts the connection and then retries N times, where N is set via -ct.

Posted by cverbiest on 17-Jun-2019 15:37

I can also confirm that on linux using OpenEdge 11.7 with -ct 1 you get an almost instant error if the database you connect client/server is not running

Without -ct it takes almost a minute (50+ secs)

Posted by gus bjorklund on 17-Jun-2019 16:36

-ct 1 should go in your .pf file in the $DLC directory.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 17-Jun-2019 17:29

Sounds like a great candidate for a new and improved default value.

Posted by cverbiest on 04-Jul-2019 13:59

-ct in startup.pf does not work, you need to specify it for each database connection seperately

Posted by gus bjorklund on 04-Jul-2019 14:16

> On Jul 4, 2019, at 10:02 AM, cverbiest wrote:

>

> -ct in startup.pf does not work, you need to specify it for each database connection seperately

>

>

>

of course it doesn't (since it is a database connection parameter). i was a fool to suggest it.

Posted by ducity on 04-Jul-2019 22:25

"of course it doesn't (since it is a database connection parameter). i was a fool to suggest it."

C'mon Gus, you were just testing to see if people still read your posts ;-)

This thread is closed