OpenEdge 11.7.3

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-May-2018 10:57

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Product_Alert/Product-Alert-OpenEdge-Service-Pack-11-7-3-on-hold?q=000089226&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

So do I get this right ... two developer studio issues impacting a miniority of developers on Windows only and a WebSpeed issue are enough to revoke Service Pack 3 of OpenEdge 11.7 for all platforms? Seems a bit harsh. 

Are there other issues with 11.7.3? Those that have already installed 11.7.3 might need to know.

Posted by Rob Straight on 16-May-2018 11:44

We deemed these issues, while isolated to Developer Studio and CGI/WebSpeed, to be more than annoyances. This was a judgment call, but if the expected issues were likely to impact many customers, and if the solution/workarounds were not obvious, this was clearly not a good situation. We have solutions for all 3 issues, and are testing now. The expectation is that 11.7.3 will be back and available by the end of this week, if not sooner.

We will also be doing a retrospective on our 11.7.3 release process to determine what we missed, and how we can avoid this situation in future releases.

We are of course very sorry for the inconvenience.

Rob Straight

Director, OpenEdge Product Management

All Replies

Posted by Rob Straight on 16-May-2018 11:44

We deemed these issues, while isolated to Developer Studio and CGI/WebSpeed, to be more than annoyances. This was a judgment call, but if the expected issues were likely to impact many customers, and if the solution/workarounds were not obvious, this was clearly not a good situation. We have solutions for all 3 issues, and are testing now. The expectation is that 11.7.3 will be back and available by the end of this week, if not sooner.

We will also be doing a retrospective on our 11.7.3 release process to determine what we missed, and how we can avoid this situation in future releases.

Rob Straight

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-May-2018 15:14

Thanks Rob!

Von: Rob Straight <bounce-rstraigh@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 18:45
An: TU.OE.Deployment@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Deployment] OpenEdge 11.7.3: Suggested Answer

/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/21/4062.image001.png
Update from Progress Community

RE: OpenEdge 11.7.3

/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/21/8400.image002.jpg

We deemed this issues, while isolated to Developer Studio and CGI/WebSpeed, to be more than annoyances. This was a judgment call, but if the expected issues were likely to impact many customers, and if the solution/workarounds were not obvious, this was clearly not a good situation. We have solutions for all 3 issues, and are testing now. The expectation is that 11.7.3 will be back and available by the end of this week, if not sooner.

Rob Straight

Did this answer your question?

Verify it as the answer or Reject it as the answer

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Das Bild wurde vom Absender entfernt.

Posted by dbeavon on 17-May-2018 08:04

I think it is a very good call.  Service packs are supposed to be trustworthy and make our lives better not worse.  Customers don't always have the resources to independently evaluate the quality of Progress service packs, which might otherwise be necessary.

There have been other service packs that probably should have been recalled, but I think PANS were used instead.

For example, when we first started using 11.6.3 our databases started crashing because of a -B2 buffer regression.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 17-May-2018 08:16

I agree.  Bugs happen and you have to make a tough call either way.  This was the right call.

Posted by James Palmer on 21-May-2018 08:03

Can someone please confirm the accepted pathway to move from the old 11.7.3 to the new one? The ESD page suggests I need to uninstall 11.7.3(OLD) and then install 11.7.3(UPDATE). I want to avoid this if possible as it will mean reinstalling all my plugins.

Posted by Lars Neumeier on 21-May-2018 11:04

+1

Are there any differences compared to the "old" 11.7.3 release? The "old" 11.7.3 installation went well without any errors and I don't use webservices.

Posted by SJProgress on 23-May-2018 04:26

Hopefully someone of Progress is listening here:

Where / when can I download new version of 11.7.3 ?? (ESD currently says 11.7.3.0 / 2nd of May)

How can I see that I have correct (new9 version of 11.7.3 (what ist the full release number?)

Posted by James Palmer on 23-May-2018 04:34

The downloads have "UPDATE" appended to the end of the file names.

This thread is closed