WebClient Deployment

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 26-Apr-2017 06:23

Is there a way for a .p to be called for each WC Application update? For example, we install our WC application. When we make a change, the next time the WC app starts it will download the updates (.r, .resx, etc.). We need to be able to do "other" things such as run a 3rd party installer, etc. If we could run a .r we could do what we need from within the .r.

Posted by Garry Hall on 26-Apr-2017 11:39

From code review, it seems the logic for executing the ABL Install Procedure is that you have to change the ABL Proc Version for it to execute. This is independent of the application version you enter when creating a new version.

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 26-Apr-2017 10:13

In the WCAA, in the Options tab, there is an ABL Install Procedure. As per the doc: "You can use an ABL install procedure to perform installation tasks not available with IntelliStream system tasks. The ABL install procedure runs as the last step of an IntelliStream install to complete any application-specific install tasks that IntelliStream did not handle."

Does this address your problem, or am I missing something?

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 26-Apr-2017 10:24

Well, not really. I believe that procedure is only run once at the end of the actual app installer. I would like to be able to run a procedure after each diff is downloaded and installed. For example, we install our app and everything is good. We create a new build (.001 to .002) and apply to the server. When the WC starts it will download the diffs and after the completion of that we would like to be able to run a procedure.

Posted by Garry Hall on 26-Apr-2017 11:39

From code review, it seems the logic for executing the ABL Install Procedure is that you have to change the ABL Proc Version for it to execute. This is independent of the application version you enter when creating a new version.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 26-Apr-2017 11:48

Gary,

We will give that a shot.

Thanks.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 26-Apr-2017 12:24

Gary,

That was the secret!! IT is working and will do what we need.

Thanks again!!

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 09-May-2017 13:38

Gary,

One more question about WC. We deploy procedure libraries with our WC app. When a .r file changes it is added to the cab file that is deployed to the WC PC's. Do you know if prolib uses wildcards when adding the .r files to the procedure libraries? I am asking because prolib is broken in 11.7 (PSC00356790) and we just received a hot fix for our development environment. I am wondering is we will have the same issue when our updated .r code is trying to be added to our WC PC's.

Posted by Garry Hall on 09-May-2017 14:44

Hi Roger,

prolib is used at the end-user to update the PLs from the cab file. It does not use wildcards, but specifies each updated file separately on the prolib command line. PSC00356790 is a problem only for 64-bit prolib. But it doesn't affect WebClient either way.

Garry.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 09-May-2017 14:46

Thanks for the info.

PSC00356790 also affected 32-bit as we had the problem on both 32/64 bit.

This thread is closed