tcman deploy and deployREST

Posted by marekk on 01-Apr-2017 16:22

Hi,

I wonder what is the difference between those 2 commands. Is that deployREST is for incremental deployment and tcman deploy only for  .war files?

Thanks,

Marek

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 02-Apr-2017 00:39

Hi Mareek,

deployREST is only to deploy "paar" files and tcman deploy is to deploy the WebApp Application.(war) files. deploysvc.bat|sh can be used for incremental deployment of REST Services.

Posted by marekk on 02-Apr-2017 01:27

Hi Irfan,

So, for incremental deployment (paar files) I must use deployREST or I can also use tcman?

Regards,

Marek

Posted by Irfan on 03-Apr-2017 04:17

Marekk,

tcman only deploy's war files, so if you just have paar files then you have to use deployREST

Posted by Irfan on 03-Apr-2017 04:17

Marekk,

tcman only deploy's war files, so if you just have paar files then you have to use deployREST

Posted by dvoyat on 03-Apr-2017 04:58

Hi,

Not any direct answer but considering .war deploy vs .paar incremental deployment. Deploying a .war file into a web application always required the PASOE instance restart to get the full process completed (part of OE documentation). Can't find similar comment about incremental deployment but I'm assuming there is similar PASOE restart required. Does it ?

Under which circumstances you/Progress will recommend using incremental vs .war file ?

Rgds

Denis

Posted by dvoyat on 03-Apr-2017 04:58

Hi,

Not any direct answer but considering .war deploy vs .paar incremental deployment. Deploying a .war file into a web application always required the PASOE instance restart to get the full process completed (part of OE documentation). Can't find similar comment about incremental deployment but I'm assuming there is similar PASOE restart required. Does it ?

Under which circumstances you/Progress will recommend using incremental vs .war file ?

Rgds

Denis

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 03-Apr-2017 05:08

Hello Denis,

Incremental publish don’t require any restart of the server.
In case of WAR file deployment, we need to restart the server to update the Web Application (.war) context in the server. In case of Incremental deployment, we will publish the services (.PAAR) to already deployed Web Application, that’s why restarting of server is not required.

Hope this helps,
Sanjeev.

Posted by dvoyat on 04-Apr-2017 02:16

Thanks Sanjeev.

What about is .paar file is about updating an existing service eg upd procedure, class or even parameter/mapping changes ?

Can we trully consider that any .paar file updating a web app is really incremental and does eg reload/refresh all ABL classes into memory so that it can be always done online and safely ?

Rgds

Denis

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 11-Apr-2017 02:23

Since original response not reached here, reposting:

Hi Denis,

Please find my are my answers inline:

What about is .paar file is about updating an existing service eg upd procedure, class or even parameter/mapping changes ?

[Sanjeev]: .PAAR file have information regarding parameter changes and also mapping details. If we update the service, .PAAR file needs to be updated.

Can we trully consider that any .paar file updating a web app is really incremental and does eg reload/refresh all ABL classes into memory so that it can be always done online and safely ?

[Sanjeev]: Yes, .PAAR file updating a WebApp is truly incremental. If we change something in  ABL classes, these are reloaded in memory as part of incremental publish. Actually as part of incremental publish, existing PAS OE sessions gets trimmed and new sessions will be spawned upon any request for a resource.

Rgds

Denis

Posted by dvoyat on 11-Apr-2017 03:53

Hi Sanjeev,

Thanks for your reply that's clarifying a lot and very valuable information.

Hope it helps Marekk too as per original post ;-)

Rgds

Denis

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 11-Apr-2017 21:30

Hello,

Sorry for the late response. Please find my comments inline.

Hope this helps,
Sanjeev

This thread is closed