Webclient on a Raspberry Pi3

Posted by goo on 17-Feb-2017 11:16

I believe this would not be possible since it is running on a ARM CPU ? It would had beeen cool :-) 

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 17-Feb-2017 11:22

We don't port OE to ARM. OE no longer has a unix GUI either, and WebClient is a GUI client. If you have a business case (beyond the cool factor), please submit it to OE Product Management :-)

Posted by goo on 17-Feb-2017 11:30

What about the linux ChUi ? I would like to be able to communicate with an appserver from this unit. Business cases will show up when we have the possibility :-)

Posted by Garry Hall on 17-Feb-2017 11:43

WebClient suggested you wanted a GUI. A TTY client could theoretically work, provided the footprint wasn't too big for the RPi. Sounds like fun, but Product Management are the ones to convince.

At the moment, I think your options to consume AppServer are through a REST request or JSDO, but I don't know enough to comment further.

Posted by Peter Judge on 17-Feb-2017 12:18

Can you dockerise it? Run docker and OE in docker on the Pi?

Posted by jmls on 17-Feb-2017 12:21

nope. docker is not cross-architecture. yet.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 17-Feb-2017 12:58

the pi is maybe too small a machine for this.

there are alternatives though. i’ve got a little dual core intel celeron box that would do. costs more than the pi though, and the case is larger. maybe a via-based board would work too.

Posted by goo on 17-Feb-2017 13:03

Can you send me some more info on that Gus? I tested running a TTY 11.6 on Synology box, and that works swell. I was just thinking that maybe the Rasberry Pi 3 would be strong enough to run _progres on that box... but no stress :-)

Posted by gus bjorklund on 17-Feb-2017 13:30

here you go:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_19

i have one without wifi with a small ssd that i use for a firewall, running pfsense on freebsd

there are lots of variations of this box with different memory size, etc. the one i got cost around $160 USD and $24 for the ssd

Posted by goo on 18-Feb-2017 03:14

Thanks :-) I have looked into the Raspberry Pi 3, and suddenly understood that it was slooooow

Posted by jmls on 18-Feb-2017 03:29

speed is relative ;)

a A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU with 1GB ram wifi and bluetooth, audio and video for $30 is actually a lot of bang for your buck ...

running an nginx server, you can get over 300 simultaneous connections when serving static files, or about 100 for more complex scripts.

when running a phone system, we've had over 25 simultaneous calls, playing moh with no sound issues at all.

I think it's pretty amazing.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 18-Feb-2017 12:32

I had a client networking, running client server 11.5 and windows 10, on

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

Posted by goo on 19-Feb-2017 05:18

You are so right J

//Geir Otto

Fra: jmls [mailto:bounce-jmls@community.progress.com]
Sendt: lørdag 18. februar 2017 10.30
Til: TU.OE.Deployment@community.progress.com
Emne: RE: [Technical Users - OE Deployment] Webclient on a Raspberry Pi3

Update from Progress Community

speed is relative ;)

a A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU with 1GB ram wifi and bluetooth, audio and video for $30 is actually a lot of bang for your buck ...

running an nginx server, you can get over 300 simultaneous connections when serving static files, or about 100 for more complex scripts.

when running a phone system, we've had over 25 simultaneous calls, playing moh with no sound issues at all.

I think it's pretty amazing.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

This thread is closed