OE 11.7 Configuration import/export and updating an OE insta

Posted by franchiset on 15-Jan-2017 16:43

I was thinking that OE 11.7 would be the version that supports a single OE installer that can be used to install a new system or update an existing OE installation without the need for a separate service pack installer. E.g. when 11.7.1 is released, the 11.7.1 installer could be run on an existing OE 11.7 system to update it to 11.7.1, and the same 11.7.1 installer could be used to install a new OE system (without needing to install 11.7 then an 11.7.1 service pack). If this single OE installer will be supported in 11.7, is there any documentation about this?

I see the configuration import/export in the ESAP5 feature descriptions. Is this utility meant to be used in connection with the aforementioned single OE installer? Should we be thinking that we need to run the configutil on an existing system to export its configuration, then run the OE installer (to upgrade to a newer OE version), then run the configutil again to import the configuration info into the just-upgraded OE installation? Is the configutil tool able to be run in a script to automate the process? Could the configutil be put on an OE 11.6 installation to export its configuration in prep for an upgrade to 11.7?

Thank you.

Posted by Brian Bowman on 16-Jan-2017 07:35

You are correct in that the OE 11.7 installation goal is to do exactly what you are stating in paragraph #1.  You will not see any change to this until 11.7.1 becomes available (it's actually the service pack installation that is changing not the core product installation).  This is the planned feature for 11.7.1 but we cannot guarantee that it will be delivered. There currently is no documentation on this as it is a future deliverable and functionality will not be exposed in the 11.7.0 release.

The OE configuration export/import tool is a standalone utility to export your OE configuration in 11.7.  This can be run from the command line (that is the only current interface) so that it can be put into a script.  The initial release of this utility will only support 11.7 but our goal is to extend it to be able to export previous configurations to ease the migration to 11.7 and the next release after that.

Please post any additional questions you may have.

Posted by Brian Bowman on 16-Jan-2017 13:57

In general, this will apply to all products with a few exceptions.  We will document those exceptions.  One that I know of specifically is database parameter files.  For example, if you use the connmgr.properties file to configure your database startup then we anticipate being able to export and import those startup parameters.   If you use the command line and parameter files to start your database we will not capture those database startup parameters.  I will have to check on PDS for OE for you.

Posted by DivyaTheja on 17-Jan-2017 00:24

Hello Carl,

As Brian mentioned, PDS OE is one of the products which is an exception for this. However, from PDS OE, we can make use of Eclipse Export/Import facility to export/import the eclipse preferences/customizations from old version to new.

Hope this helps,

DivyaTheja

All Replies

Posted by Brian Bowman on 16-Jan-2017 07:35

You are correct in that the OE 11.7 installation goal is to do exactly what you are stating in paragraph #1.  You will not see any change to this until 11.7.1 becomes available (it's actually the service pack installation that is changing not the core product installation).  This is the planned feature for 11.7.1 but we cannot guarantee that it will be delivered. There currently is no documentation on this as it is a future deliverable and functionality will not be exposed in the 11.7.0 release.

The OE configuration export/import tool is a standalone utility to export your OE configuration in 11.7.  This can be run from the command line (that is the only current interface) so that it can be put into a script.  The initial release of this utility will only support 11.7 but our goal is to extend it to be able to export previous configurations to ease the migration to 11.7 and the next release after that.

Please post any additional questions you may have.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 16-Jan-2017 07:43

Brian,

When you say "The initial release of this utility will only support 11.7 but our goal is to extend it to be able to export previous configurations to ease the migration to 11.7 and the next release after that"

Are you saying this utility will be able to be used to export OE config info for earlier versions as well such as 11.4?

What will the 11.7.1 installer do if an older version (11.4) is already installed on the PC?

I guess I am trying to figure out if we will be able to script the following;

1. Export 11.4 config

2. Uninstall 11.4

3. Install 11.7

4. Import 11.4 config

Thanks,

Roger

Posted by franchiset on 16-Jan-2017 13:43

Brian, I second Roger's questions. If the utility will eventually be able to be used for upgrading older OE versions, these are the exact steps I was thinking we'd have to do as well.

Posted by franchiset on 16-Jan-2017 13:50

Thanks for the heads up on OE 11.7. Sounds good.

For what OE products (AppServer, Personal DB, PDSOE, etc.) is the utility planned for?

If the utility will work for PDSOE, will that allow Eclipse customizations (indenting, color coding, etc.) to be exported and imported into new versions of PDSOE by using the utility?

Posted by Brian Bowman on 16-Jan-2017 13:53

What we believe will happen is that the 11.7.1 installer will not be able to export the "11.4" configuration, nor will it be able to uninstall 11.4 automatically before installing 11.7.1.  What we would like to have is to give you the standalone utility that will export the 11.4 configuration prior to uninstalling 11.4.  Then after you uninstall 11.4 and install 11.7 you can import the configuration into 11.7 with the utility.  We are not sure how far back the utility will go in terms of backward "export" support.   This is all still TBD.

Posted by Brian Bowman on 16-Jan-2017 13:57

In general, this will apply to all products with a few exceptions.  We will document those exceptions.  One that I know of specifically is database parameter files.  For example, if you use the connmgr.properties file to configure your database startup then we anticipate being able to export and import those startup parameters.   If you use the command line and parameter files to start your database we will not capture those database startup parameters.  I will have to check on PDS for OE for you.

Posted by DivyaTheja on 17-Jan-2017 00:24

Hello Carl,

As Brian mentioned, PDS OE is one of the products which is an exception for this. However, from PDS OE, we can make use of Eclipse Export/Import facility to export/import the eclipse preferences/customizations from old version to new.

Hope this helps,

DivyaTheja

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 17-Jan-2017 06:22

Brian,

Will this standalone utility have the capability to be executed from the command line as to allow it to be part of a script?

For an example script.

1. Use this utility to export current config.

2. Uninstall current OE version

3. Install 11.7.1

4. Import the config that was exported in step 1.

Thanks,

Roger

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 17-Jan-2017 06:35

Yes Roger, as Brian already mentioned in his earlier conversation

This can be run from the command line (that is the only current interface) so that it can be put into a script.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 17-Jan-2017 06:37

Thanks.

This thread is closed