Webclient Local Install

Posted by JPMeister on 28-Nov-2016 03:19

Hi Guys,

I am having trouble getting webclient to install locally and only write to the current user registry.

Currently it writes to the local machine which means our app has to have administrator rights.

Is there a way to install locally and webclient to only write to current user registry.

Current Versions:

Openedge 11.3

Webclient 11.3

Regards,

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 29-Nov-2016 06:22

I believe you MUST give full access to that key as prowcini.exe needs to write to it to keep a record of what version you are on. Try going into REGEDIT and grant full permission to that key for all users and see what happens.

What we have done with WC is use installshield to script the install and then update windows settings as needed one of which is updating the permissions on that registry key. This installshiled installer needs to run as Administrator but after that the WC app can be started without having admin rights.

All Replies

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 28-Nov-2016 05:13

Non-admin users can also install WebClient. You said you are having 'trouble'. Can you explain a little more about it? Are you seeing an error? If so, what's that error? Also, what OS are you using?

Posted by JPMeister on 28-Nov-2016 05:49

Sorry about that, when i say we are having trouble i mean we actually haven't found a way yet. What happens is we silently install it and at the moment it installs to local machine instead of current user.

I've searched quite a bit but i can't find a way to silently install to current user.

Using windows 10, but will be installed on windows 7 and later.

Apologies if I haven't given enough information

Posted by goo on 28-Nov-2016 08:15

We never install it on the machine. We only copy it to a area where the user have full Access. Normally under document/applicationArea/myApp..... much easier than using the install....

Posted by JPMeister on 29-Nov-2016 04:22

---------------------------

WebClient

Unable to install/run MyApp.  You must have full access to the Application key in the Windows Registry,  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DEV\MyApp.  Contact your System Administrator.

OK  

This is the error i get when running my program.

Webclient itself is looking at HKLM when we need it to look at HKCU as we can't always give it admin rights.

Posted by goo on 29-Nov-2016 05:50

I use these for starting my Application:

Target:C:\Users\goo\Documents\ApplicationArea\msgQ\WebClient\bin\prowc.exe -basekey INI -pf startup.pf -T %TEMP%

startin: C:\Users\goo\Documents\ApplicationArea\MSGQ

startup.pf

---------------------------------------------------------------------

-E

-assemblies assemblies

-s 1000

-S 10000

-mmax 8000

-d dmy

-rand 2

-param "-H mymachine.xxxxx.xx -S nnnn -DirectConnect"

-p start.p

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

progress.ini

----------------------------------

:

PROPATH=.;./winsrc;./img;./jukebox;./jukebox/winsrc/admin;./jukebox/winsrc;./jukebox/obj;./jukebox/lib;./jukebox/obj;./jukebox/winsrc;.\jukebox\oo;./jukebox/winsrc/admin;./jukebox/img;./jukebox/tools;.\WebClient;.\WebClient\bin

:

What is Your startup?

//Geir Otto

Posted by goo on 29-Nov-2016 05:51

I think the -basekey ini is an importen key here :-)

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 29-Nov-2016 06:22

I believe you MUST give full access to that key as prowcini.exe needs to write to it to keep a record of what version you are on. Try going into REGEDIT and grant full permission to that key for all users and see what happens.

What we have done with WC is use installshield to script the install and then update windows settings as needed one of which is updating the permissions on that registry key. This installshiled installer needs to run as Administrator but after that the WC app can be started without having admin rights.

Posted by goo on 29-Nov-2016 06:54

IF you uses .net Components, and you want the user to get New code, they need to have writeaccess to the installation area... as far as I know...

Posted by JPMeister on 29-Nov-2016 07:17

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help!

I have managed to use rblanchards way as a workaround for now.

Thanks goo, I'm going to try test your way so i can find a more permanent solution.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 29-Nov-2016 07:27

JPMeister,

Just fyi I do not believe this is an issue in WIN7...just WIN8 and above.

If you find a better solution please let me know as I am not aware of a way to prevent prowcini.exe from writing to that registry key. That is how it knows what version the client is on and if it needs to pull updates from the WebServer.

Roger

Posted by JPMeister on 29-Nov-2016 07:38

Yes, i also believe its a problem with webclient itself that needs to access those registries.

But if i do find another way i will send it to you.

This thread is closed