Oracle Dataserver Configuration options

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 08-Sep-2016 03:00

Hello Community,

I'm a little bit unsure what the best Oracle Dataserver setup would be:

a) local dataserver
b) remote dataserver

We have Oracle client installed on all laptops and Progress Client
(client networking) on some.

Some part of the Progress application should start using Oracle data.

I would like to know the pro/cons of using a remote dataserver setup.

AIX : OpenEdge 11.2
Oracle Linux (RHEL compliant): Oracle 11.2.0.1

Clients are Windows-based (Windows Server 2012 and Windows 7).

Thanks,

David

All Replies

Posted by vprasad on 08-Sep-2016 04:18

I suggest local dataserver as progress application using oracle data

Posted by sgarg on 08-Sep-2016 04:31

I think possible setup based on the installed software would be remote DataServer as I assume Oracle Client is installed on a separate machine (Windows-based) where you would also have Oracle DataServer which can be connected from Progress client using client networking (AIX or Windows).

Posted by Sitansu on 08-Sep-2016 06:39

I think similar concerns raised in the below community thread,you may have a look into it.

community.progress.com/.../91027

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 08-Sep-2016 06:49

In configuration 1 how many licences do you need for the dataserver broker?

How is it licensed? Currently our Enterprise Database License allows concurrent users up to a limit far higher than the number of users actually needed to run the Oracle modules.

Ok, I see it already. It's in there... only one dataserver license is needed apparently.

Does anybody have an idea on the performance impact?

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 08-Sep-2016 10:55

In the manual it is suggested that you should set the ORACLE_SID as environment variable when starting the dataserver broker. 

Is this really a requirement?

Posted by Sitansu on 08-Sep-2016 12:11

ORACLE_SID needs to be set if you do not go through NET8 to connect ORACLE.

Posted by Mei Swank on 08-Sep-2016 14:24

It depends on your configuration

Posted by ymaisonn on 08-Sep-2016 14:30

Hi David,

Here are the 2 env vars when it comes to configuring the Oracle DataServer:

ORACLE_HOME (Required) The pathname of the directory where you installed Oracle.

ORACLE_SID (Optional) The identifier for the Oracle instance you are accessing.

On Windows, these values are stored in the registry. You generally only need to set them explicitly if you have more than 1 Oracle instance on the machine. On UNIX, they are required. This is covered in more detail in the DataServer for Oracle manual, Chapter 5: Configuring the DataServer.

Those are applicable on the machine where the DataServer engine runs.

In configuration 1: Machine B

In configuration 2: Machine B

In configuration 3: Machine A

HTH,

Yannick

Posted by ymaisonn on 08-Sep-2016 14:37

Note that instead of setting the env var, you can explicitely pass the ORACLE_SID value in the connection string to Oracle in the DataServer config, by appending @ORACLE_SID to the user ID:

Your DataServer connection string to Oracle should then include something like:

-U username@ORACLE_SID -P password

or even 

-U username/password@ORACLE_SID

Posted by ymaisonn on 08-Sep-2016 15:13

The licensing is based on the number of users

Considering n users, here are the licenses requires according to the configuration chosen:

Configuration 1: 1 DataServer licence for n licensed users

Configuration 2: 1 DataServer licence for n licensed users

Confirguration 3: n DataServer licenses for one licensed user.

Despite 1 dataserver license for 1 licensed user can technically serve multiple users, doing so constitutes a license infringement.

See the following article for further details (it discusses the Database license, but it also applies to the DataServer):

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../16693

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 08-Sep-2016 16:23

Hello Yannick,

so if I understand correctly I can't use my n users license from the Enterprise database license to connect to the dataserver (not even in a config 1 mode) simultaneously?

I still need to have extra licenses for the same n users if they want to connect to the _orasrv processes?

What I would like is:

1 license for Dataserver

n licenses for Enterprise database

n licenses Client Networking

n users connecting to Progress app to connect x _orasrv and y _proserve database services. I was under the impression that this was a config compliant with the licensing model but I'm now in doubt.

Posted by ymaisonn on 09-Sep-2016 00:52

Hello David,

The DataServer includes the Enterprise database licensing bits which enables to proserve the schema holder. That way clients can connect remotely to the schema holder.

Customers are not supposed to use Enterprise db capability included in the DataServer license to proserve OpenEdge databases other than the schema holder.

For config 1 you will therefore need:

1 dataserver license for n licensed users

n client networking licenses

Let me know if you have any question

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 09-Sep-2016 01:30

Hello Yannick,

So basically if you have a mixed environment but one application you need to have triple licenses:

- license for Oracle (n users)

- license for Progress database (n users)

- license for Oracle Dataserver (n users)

I was under the impression that in config 1 you would only need the number of dataserver user licenses you where serving (so the number of _orasrv processes you need).

How can I split the application framework data (=progress db) from the customer data (=oracle db) without having to explain they need to buy 3 licenses? (actually 4, also client networking)

This thread is closed