Web Client Application Config file location

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 23-May-2016 01:32

Hi guys....

We have a webclient app and the config file locator is on a live webserver and not on the same machine as our appservers.. The problem we face is because of this our clients are able to get onto our network and see the appservers however if the lines are down for maintenance they cant access the config file on the webserver and as a result the app closes and they cannot use it.

Is there a way that if the config file cannot be located our clients can still log in and use the app?

TIA

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 23-May-2016 07:32

To explore this a little: what is the behaviour you expect? That the WebClient app should run just with the application version it currently knows about? It's not something we have implemented, but I can see it would be a useful feature. You would have to log an enhancement request.

Intellistream requires access to the prowcapc file to know if the application version has changed. If you wish to bypass this, and manage deployment of application updates yourself, you can execute the prowc.exe executable with the appropriate startup parameters. I think there is a kbase on this (I provided information for doing this years ago, I am assuming it made it into a kbase).

Alternatively, if you chose to host the prowcapc file internally instead, you could use the WebClient Deployment Packager to change the config file locator URL. You'd have to roll this out to clients in a new app version... there would be some logistics involved. There is no mechanism for automatically switching to a backup config file locator URL. That might be another useful feature.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 23-May-2016 07:46

I already logged an enhancement request for this over a year ago. What we ended up doing is just having two shortcuts on the desktop. One for prowcini.exe and on for prowc.exe. There did not appear to be a way to catch any type of error if prowcini.exe cannot connect to the web server.

This thread is closed