GUI client session disconnected abnormally from DB after idl

Posted by Tai Li on 16-Dec-2015 21:32

Hi guys,

My client recently setup a client/server model. Some while later (after 2 weeks) they have been encountering some intermittent issue whereby their GUI client will be disconnected abnormally from OE DB. This symptom may not only happen during idling, but also when in the amid of using the GUI client. Though the GUI client session was disconnected, the connection is still shown as connected when using PROMON, and will need to be manually disconnected. Their GUI client was installed onto their users computer (Windows 7) individually and OE DB installed onto cloud VM server (Windows Server 2008). GUI client is not connected to OE DB through VPN.

Both users computer and server are installed with OE10.2B00 (no patch). VMware 5.5 installed on server and is compatible with OE10.2B as stated in PKB: 40717.

So far from the PKB, I found this article (PKB: 61204) relating to Windows Interrupt Moderation, but is regarding impacts on network performance.

Anyone encounters this issue before?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

All Replies

Posted by Tai Li on 22-Dec-2015 01:10

My client encountered another issue, 'The server or the system has no more resources. Please contact Progress Technical Supoprt. (748)'.

I ran 'promon > R&D > 1 (Status Displays) > 17 (Servers By Broker)' and noticed there are 4 pending connections.

From OE10.2B documentation, it mentioned:

Pend. Users - The number of users who have successfully connected to the broker, but have not completed a connection to a server.

I suspect this is due to the issue that I have mentioned in my first post.

Until now I have no good explanation what could have caused the intermittent connection in the first place. If just blame it to environmental issue will be too general.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

Posted by George Potemkin on 22-Dec-2015 02:38

> Though the GUI client session was disconnected, the connection is still shown as connected when using PROMON

What does it mean - "the GUI client session was disconnected"?

> there are 4 pending connections.

1) Set the -PendConnTime at db startup;

2) Check activity of the remote server with pending connections and/or an activity of its remote client. Do they use 100% CPU?

3) Try to change the -minport/-maxport;

4) Check the anti-virus software that can scan the ports.

Posted by Tai Li on 30-Dec-2015 02:34

Hi [mention:ae2ea2f6412743fc8be36c522f414ef0:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05],

> What does it mean - "the GUI client session was disconnected"?

GUI client (prowin32.exe) was terminated completely. User have to re-run the application again.

> 1) Set the -PendConnTime at db startup;

Have instructed my client to set.

> 2) Check activity of the remote server with pending connections and/or an activity of its remote client. Do they use 100% CPU?

Do you mean the activity of prowin32.exe?

> 3) Try to change the -minport/-maxport;
> 4) Check the anti-virus software that can scan the ports.

Have instructed my client to check the firewall if the range of ports are allowed.

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

Posted by George Potemkin on 30-Dec-2015 09:44

Hi Tai Li,

> GUI client (prowin32.exe) was terminated completely.

I would say the client's session had crashed. Did it leave a protrace file? Any errors in the Event Log?

> the connection is still shown as connected when using PROMON, and will need to be manually disconnected.

On server's box you need to set the keepalive timeout, let's say, to 5 minutes instead of 2 hours by default.

Regards,
George

Posted by Tai Li on 05-Jan-2016 21:48

Hi George,

Did it leave a protrace file? Any errors in the Event Log?

> I have already instructed my client to add the -clientlog and -logginglevel switches. Waiting for their feedback. (If the protrace you are referring to this.)

Alright, I can check the Event Log.

Thank you.

Regards,
Tai Li

This thread is closed