NUMA

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 27-Aug-2015 06:07

OpenEdge does not support NUMA:

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000041833

However, as I've noticed - our servers (db as well as appserver) do run NUMA according to dmesg and numactl commands. We do not experience any performance issues and we've run it this way for a couple of years now. 

1) Should I turn it off?

2) Planning for new servers I wonder if I should take this into account. All mid-end servers seems to be NUMA nowadays, is just turning it off the best solution or should I do anything else? Specifically I'm looking into HP DL 380 Gen9 (we're running G7s right now).

OE 11.5 (possibly 11.6 when these new servers are to be installed). Enterprise license. RHEL.

All Replies

Posted by Brian Bowman on 09-Sep-2015 14:23

Hi -

Here are some answers to your questions:

0) NUMA is a hardware architecture that is supported by the vendor that enables it.  To this point, you are correct in that OpenEdge does not support NUMA specifically.  That would be up to the vendor that enables it.  We do run on NUMA machines though.

1) Should you turn it off?  If you are experiencing acceptable performance then there is no need to turn it off.  What "acceptable performance" means is open to judgement.  YMMV

2) It is worth considering when evaluating and bench marking new servers.  The issue occurs as you scale up to many cores with local vs. remote cache.  We have seen customers with performance problems when they enable CC:NUMA with 24 and 32 cores.  We have also seen customers with as many cores without any issues.  The customers I have dealt with on this issue see a VERY measurable decrease in performance.  I will defer to others on community to comment on their experience as well.  

The above knowledgebase will be updated soon to state something similar to the following:

OpenEdge will run on CC:NUMA (Cache-Coherent Non-Uniform Memory Architecture) machines.  Depending on the hardware configuration of the machine users may encounter performance issues.  These issues relate to memory utilization with multiple cores and local vs. remote cache.  It is not unique to OpenEdge.  OpenEdge is constantly working to improve our NUMA support when specific issues are identified.   Progress does not officially endorse or support any specific hardware configurations.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Posted by ymaisonn on 10-Sep-2015 01:57

You might also be interested in reading the following article:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000037521

This thread is closed