Session timeout but GUI (application) does not know

Posted by saeedamer on 11-Aug-2015 10:48

Hi there

I hope I am in the right forum to ask this question.

A little background of what I am supporting:

Application written in Progress 4GL, DB is Progress v10, OpenEdge Client v10.2B

Compiled code (r-code) resides on NAS (central location for ease of maintenance). OpenEdge client is installed on each user's PC. The user launches the application.

There are couple of things happening causing frustration:

1. User is kicked out of the application while the user is doing something using the application (query or data update, etc)
  2. User start generating a report (in the foreground) and chooses to save to local (C-drive) or network drive - the report generation hangs (application message says "Please wait... processing foreground request"). Investigation revealed that user's DB session timed out but application still displaying this message.

Please advise how to investigate this further and fix it?

Please let me know if there are any questions or additional info needed.

Regards

SA

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 11-Aug-2015 11:49

More information is needed to provide any suggestions.

1) "User is kicked out". Who kicks the user out? Or does the OpenEdge client crash? I am assuming the session terminates unexpectedly. What messages do the users see?

2) "User's DB session timed out". I don't recall the OE database having a facility to "time out" users (I might be wrong).

These are possibly application-specific issues. I am assuming you are not the application vendor. Have you contacted the application vendor about these problems?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 11-Aug-2015 12:17

Hi Saeed,

I work for the application vendor in question.  The best way to deal with this issue is to direct it through our support channels so we can ensure it is tracked appropriately.  I have already alerted our support management to your post so they can reach out to you.  

If you have any difficulties placing support requests please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Rob

Posted by saeedamer on 11-Aug-2015 12:23

1) "User is kicked out". Who kicks the user out? Or does the OpenEdge client crash? I am assuming the session terminates unexpectedly. What messages do the users see?

Saying "the session terminates unexpectedly" is probably the best way to put in words - No message appears - the application closes. But this is one instance. The other instance is described in #2.

This thread is closed