Development Environments, Bitness and Licensing

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Jul-2015 02:55

Trying to work out the best way of doing something. 

I'd like to be able to carry a copy of our production database with me on a portable drive as I work at home regularly. Our database is ~400GB meaning a cloud solution isn't cheap. We have Enterprise RDBMS licenses for our server (11.5 64Bit), but development is done in 32Bit (11.2.1 at the moment but we'll be moving to 11.5 development soon). We have too many ocx screens to move to predominantly 64bit development at this time. 

So even if I could use the Enterprise RDBMS license without breaking licensing, I can't because it's a 64bit license and I'll be running 32bit. 

I'd need to be able to serve my database, and run AppServers. Is there a way of achieving this without having to shell out for Enterprise RDBMS 32bit licenses?

Hope this makes sense. 

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 16-Jul-2015 06:54

Have you tried it?

Databases don't have bitness.  Executables do.  If you have the same version of Progress at both ends you should be able to use the db equally well with either 32 or 64 bit executables.

Side note:  what db do you use in development?  It almost sounds like you are using production to develop :(  Otherwise I would think you would be taking a copy of the development db with you...

Second side note:  does the company not have a VPN of some sort to support working at home?  That would seem like a better solution than carting around 400GB of database (which seems like a bit of a security problem as well).

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Jul-2015 07:43

But without a license for 32 bit RDBMS I can't serve the DB whatever the bitness.

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Jul-2015 07:45

Side note 1: We have a development DB served up on a server that also hosts Test and UAT.

Side note 2: We have a VPN, but as the system is thick client, running over the VPN is like wading through treacle. We could use terminal servers at a push, but they are the thing of the devil IMO.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Jul-2015 10:25

PDSOE includes a development server.

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Jul-2015 10:34

Have you got details please Thomas?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Jul-2015 10:38

You should see it on your license sheet.  You just install it when you install PDSOE.

Posted by James Palmer on 17-Jul-2015 03:58

Thanks for the pointer Thomas. Seems I can fire up DBs from PDSOE. Is there any documentation on what and what isn't supported in terms of RDBMS features?

How would I go about firing up AppServers for development then? Is this also using asbman like it is if you have the RDBMS license installed, or do I have to configure it in PDSOE too?

This thread is closed