PASOE & HLC

Posted by bronco on 18-Mar-2015 05:26

Is HLC possible on a PASOE? What would be the proceedings to build the HLC executable (is it any different than building an HLC executable for _progres, in what way)? 

thanks

(PS. almost 19y of OpenEdge experience and never came across HLC yet).

Posted by Donicello Lampe on 18-Mar-2015 05:35

Hi Bronco, the answer is no. Please see knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000056470 .

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 18-Mar-2015 05:33

Not able to directly answer your questions, but:

What are you trying to implement using HLC? And for which platform?

I’ve also almost ever succeeded to get around using HLC as well. Building my own Progress executable sounds like an exercise I don’t need to have.  

Posted by Donicello Lampe on 18-Mar-2015 05:35

Hi Bronco, the answer is no. Please see knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000056470 .

Posted by bronco on 18-Mar-2015 05:59

Well Mike, I agree with you, that's why I haven't touched HLC ever. However, I have a legacy application at hand. Since the answer to y question is "NO", I can persuade them to rebuild as an SO (or DLL) for whatever the functionality of the HLC is. One thing btw is a so called "napit" function which gives the possibility for sub second pauses. Well, that one is covered today :-)

Posted by bronco on 18-Mar-2015 06:08

The HLC calls are used for communicating with PLC's. My current assignment is in the process industry.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 18-Mar-2015 06:13

Aren’t there .NET assemblies available (Windows) or shared libraries (Unix)?

A quick look at Google appears promising.

It’s 2015 …

Posted by bronco on 18-Mar-2015 06:27

Undoubtedly, my question was primarily to make sure that HLC is really not an option.

We have an alternative, but if we didn't: rebuilding it into DLL/SO can be time consuming, tedious, error prone, etc...

Errors in a process which output is measured in hecto tons can be costly. So a mere "it's 2015" is not an option said lightly ;-)

This thread is closed