More decimals as expected in EXPORT statement

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 22-Jan-2015 05:13

Hello!

For sql replication I use first dbtool to fix sql widths (hopefully PSC will create a auto fix width option) and then run a simple EXPORT on every changed record/table.

This is the definition of one field:

SQL schema: (Pro SQL)

decimal(19,4) DEFAULT 0 null

ABL schema:

Decimal, deci-4  / ->>>,>>>,>>>,>>9.9999

The result of the export is:

It should be 25811,2000

Why there is one digit too much in the database?

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 26-Jan-2015 04:57

Me not being a SQL expert and based on your description, it looks like a defect that should be reported to our Support team.

Posted by Tjerk Coomans on 26-Jan-2015 15:34

Hi Stefan,

This is perfectly normal. The export function does an export of the really data value not formatted.

The abl schema format you define is the default DISPLAY format, which means display on the screen/printer.

The sql format is only used when you use sql statements talking to the progress database.

Not sure what you want to reach. Do you want to communicate via ABL or via SQL to the database?

The EXPORT statement is an abl statement which doesn't use any formatting, just dumps the real values.

Maybe you want to use the put unformatted phrase and add the format on the fields how you want them to be dumped.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 27-Jan-2015 02:46

DISPLAY format is this: ->>>,>>>,>>>,>>9.9999

But for what is deci-4? This isn't for the display, I thought this is the storage format.

EXPORT is very fast, manual PUT fields is slow, manual string functions are very slow

We want to have it as it is but decimals should be correct like definition.

BTW: Sorry for the two threads in deploy in dev, I think I deleted this one ...

This thread is closed