Tool for Linux deployment

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Dec-2014 09:25

At the moment our Linux deployment is a manual procedure: install Progress, Java, application software, databases, maintenance scripts etc. all done manually.

What method do you use next to regular scripting that would make our life easier?

In the end I would like to be able to do something like:

yum install app

yum update app

yum uninstall app

from a central repository.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 16-Dec-2014 10:16

I've started using Ant scripts (together with PCT* ) to compile ABL code and build PLs or ZIP files.  Depending on what level of tailoring scripts you want, you can also use Ant, although if your installation tailoring gets to be really complex, you will probably have to use a proper installer.

It'd be cool/neat to have a 'yum' or 'npm' or similar for ABL stuff but none exists to my knowledge.

What do you currently use on Windows?

-- peter

[collapse]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 December, 2014 10:26
To: TU.OE.Deployment@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Deployment] Tool for Linux deployment

Thread created by kraa
At the moment our Linux deployment is a manual procedure: install Progress, Java, application software, databases, maintenance scripts etc. all done manually. What method do you use next to regular scripting that would make our life easier? In the end I would like to be able to do something like: yum install app yum update app yum uninstall app from a central repository.
Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 23-Dec-2014 11:37

Thanks, but I was more thinking about preparing the Linux (CentOS) server.

At the moment we have around 50 tasks that need to be done by the person doing the install varying from kernel tuning to installing Progress. Very time consuming and error prone.

Of course it can be done by shell scripting, but I was wondering if there are alternatives that are better manageable.

We could (?) use OS images but that is not my first choice.

This thread is closed