Webclient deployment

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 03-Dec-2014 00:29

Hi guys Im trying to get my application to install after the webclient install. Now ive edited the bootstrap.htm to look if webclient is installed and if it is install the application and if its no then run webclient htm which takes you to the webclient for down load. If edited the webclient.htm and set the following ether.SetProperty("ProwcappURL", "http://server1/webclient/app_installer/yourapp.prowcapc"); which should run and install my application straight after the webclient install. yet it DOES NOT. Can someone please indicate and point me into the correct direction of what the problem is? TIA

All Replies

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 03-Dec-2014 00:50

Please specify the browser you are using and also OE version.

Did you try with any other browser(s)?

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 03-Dec-2014 00:56

Im using internet explorer and the openedge 11.3.2. I have not tried with any other browsers no.

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 03-Dec-2014 03:27

OK. It should work if you are using IE. Please check your webclient.htm file to ensure that you have correct value for "ProwcappURL".

I suspect that this value is reset after you set it with ether.SetProperty(). Search for ProwcappURL after "ether.SetProperty("ProwcappURL", "http://server1/webclient/app_installer/yourapp.prowcapc");" line. If there is any other line that sets value for ProwcappURL, make sure that it is set to "http://server1/webclient/app_installer/yourapp.prowcapc"

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 03-Dec-2014 03:53

Hi there is no other line that sets this property...?

If I run my bootstrap again after the webclient installs it will install my app. so the bootstrap.htm is working fine.

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 03-Dec-2014 04:02

Yes, if you run bootstrap.htm, it will check if webclient is installed or not. If yes, it will start installing the application. In your case, as webclient is already installed, you are seeing the application install.

Can you attach webclient.htm file that you are using?

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 03-Dec-2014 04:28

Hi ive debugged my webclient.htm and the code to fire the prowcappc file is in the startinstall function. this fires directly when I click install on the webclient install page. Am I correct that after my webclient is installed its supposed to install my application? and I don't have to run the bootstrap again?

Elsworth Burmeister

Developer - Managed Services

Cell: +27 83 777 3072 Email: eburmeister@elcb.co.za

ELCB Information Services (Pty) Ltd

Customer Service Email  elcb@elcb.co.za · www.elcb.co.za

E A S T  L O N D O N

Tel: +27(43)  704 0700

Fax: +27(43) 704 0701

J O H A N N E S B U R G

Tel: +27(11) 879 6179

Fax: +27(11) 454 0384

P O R T  E L I Z A B E T H

Tel: +27(41) 373 0529

Fax: +27(86) 650 0135

Disclaimer

[collapse]
From: Dileep Dasa [mailto:bounce-ddasa@community.progress.com]
Sent: 03 December 2014 12:03 PM
To: TU.OE.Deployment@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Deployment] Webclient deployment

Reply by Dileep Dasa

Yes, if you run bootstrap.htm, it will check if webclient is installed or not. If yes, it will start installing the application. In your case, as webclient is already installed, you are seeing the application install.

Can you attach webclient.htm file that you are using?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 03-Dec-2014 04:41

Yes, you are correct. It should start installing the application after webclient install is done. You need not run bootstrap again.

I tried this and I can see that application starts its install as soon as the webclient is done. I am setting value for ProwcappURL in scriptPlayer function.

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 03-Dec-2014 05:02

Hi thanks for all the assistance... but Ive had this working all the time... there is just a long break after the webclient installation before the application comes up for download.

If I can continue this thread and ask if anyone has used the AppAutoUpdate in registry for the webclient to automatically update without user input? as per documentation..

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Does it automatically update the webclient or does it just supress the dialog and take you to the page to download webclient?

Posted by Garry Hall on 03-Dec-2014 07:42

AppAutoUpdate is only for the application updated. If the application version in the prowcapc file has changed, the WebClient Initializer will normally ask the user if they wish to upgrade the application. AppAutoUpdate was added to suppress this question and automatically update the application.

IIRC, it was added for a scenario where the WebClient version upgrade could be pushed out to all clients by some sort of System Management Service, but the webclient application upgrade required using Intellistream. The problem it was trying to solve was that this upgrade could be unattended (i.e. no user interaction involved), except for this dialog asking if the user wanted to upgrade. Suppressing this dialog allowed an unattended upgrade to occur.

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 03-Dec-2014 07:48

Thanks so much for the replies and answers..

do you think progress would get to the stage where we can update the webclient automatically aswell and not only the application?

Posted by Garry Hall on 03-Dec-2014 07:55

I am not aware of this being on our WebClient roadmap (it might be, I just don't know about it). This is an enhancement request. I don't remember the exact procedure for requesting an enhancement, but I am sure others can chime in.

Posted by Elsworth Burmeister on 03-Dec-2014 07:57

I hope it is... I honestly believe the less user interaction with updates etc the better...

Posted by GarthBond on 09-Jun-2015 06:29

Hi there,

Our company is interested in the same thing, namely forced upgrades to new web clients without user approval and a graceful rollback if the upgrade is not successful.

Did you get any further on this request and what installers were you using?

Please advise

Garth Bond

Automate

This thread is closed