Deploying multiple copies of a since REST service war

Posted by jbeisch on 20-Nov-2014 10:35

We will need to deploy a single REST service to multiple customers each of which have their own AppServer for it to connect to.  This requires us to uniquely name each REST service so we can configure the individual .props files to connect to each AppServer.

Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

We are using PDSOE to create are war and paar files and are hoping to not have hundreds of projects to generate the uniquely named war and paar files but rather do this naming during deployment.

Posted by knavneet on 20-Nov-2014 21:20

Thank you for Mike for pointing that out.

Yes that is true. If you manually deploy the REST war files with a different name, the file appender name and the location of the log where spring and other 3rd party related logging goes needs to be changed manually as well
(in <webapp>/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties).

So, the better way would be to have one project in PDS OE, and export the REST Application as WAR file  with multiple unique names; and deploy those exported .war files in Tomcat.
This way the log4j.properties appender names are taken care of.

[collapse]
From: Michael Jacobs [mailto:bounce-mjacobs@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:13 PM
To: TU.OE.Deployment@community.progress.com
Subject: Re: [Technical Users - OE Deployment] Deploying multiple copies of a since REST service war

Reply by Michael Jacobs
Navneet,

If you do a manual deploy - do you not have to edit the log4j.properties file to get the right log file name?

Mike J.

[collapse]
From: knavneet <bounce-knavneet@community.progress.com>
Date: Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM
To: "TU.OE.Deployment@community.progress.com" <TU.OE.Deployment@community.progress.com>

Reply by knavneet

Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

>> Yes, you can take a PDS OE generated .war file, and deploy it again with a unique name.

However, you need to keep in mind that your Tomcat server can run out of memory if you have too many .war files  deployed.

[collapse]
We will need to deploy a single REST service to multiple customers each of which have their own AppServer for it to connect to.  This requires us to uniquely name each REST service so we can configure the individual .props files to connect to each AppServer.

Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

We are using PDSOE to create are war and paar files and are hoping to not have hundreds of projects to generate the uniquely named war and paar files but rather do this naming during deployment.

[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]

All Replies

Posted by knavneet on 20-Nov-2014 11:34

Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

>> Yes, you can take a PDS OE generated .war file, and deploy it again with a unique name.

However, you need to keep in mind that your Tomcat server can run out of memory if you have too many .war files  deployed.

[collapse]
We will need to deploy a single REST service to multiple customers each of which have their own AppServer for it to connect to.  This requires us to uniquely name each REST service so we can configure the individual .props files to connect to each AppServer.

Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

We are using PDSOE to create are war and paar files and are hoping to not have hundreds of projects to generate the uniquely named war and paar files but rather do this naming during deployment.

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 20-Nov-2014 11:42

Navneet,

If you do a manual deploy - do you not have to edit the log4j.properties file to get the right log file name?

Mike J.

[collapse]
Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

>> Yes, you can take a PDS OE generated .war file, and deploy it again with a unique name.

However, you need to keep in mind that your Tomcat server can run out of memory if you have too many .war files  deployed.

[collapse]
We will need to deploy a single REST service to multiple customers each of which have their own AppServer for it to connect to.  This requires us to uniquely name each REST service so we can configure the individual .props files to connect to each AppServer.

Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

We are using PDSOE to create are war and paar files and are hoping to not have hundreds of projects to generate the uniquely named war and paar files but rather do this naming during deployment.

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by knavneet on 20-Nov-2014 21:20

Thank you for Mike for pointing that out.

Yes that is true. If you manually deploy the REST war files with a different name, the file appender name and the location of the log where spring and other 3rd party related logging goes needs to be changed manually as well
(in <webapp>/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties).

So, the better way would be to have one project in PDS OE, and export the REST Application as WAR file  with multiple unique names; and deploy those exported .war files in Tomcat.
This way the log4j.properties appender names are taken care of.

[collapse]
If you do a manual deploy - do you not have to edit the log4j.properties file to get the right log file name?

Mike J.

[collapse]
Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

>> Yes, you can take a PDS OE generated .war file, and deploy it again with a unique name.

However, you need to keep in mind that your Tomcat server can run out of memory if you have too many .war files  deployed.

[collapse]
We will need to deploy a single REST service to multiple customers each of which have their own AppServer for it to connect to.  This requires us to uniquely name each REST service so we can configure the individual .props files to connect to each AppServer.

Are we able to take a REST server, assume it's called RestService and simple change the name of the war file to something specific, such as RestServiceCustA and deploy it over and over again by simply keeping the name unique.  Or does the war file need to be "created" with the new name?

We are using PDSOE to create are war and paar files and are hoping to not have hundreds of projects to generate the uniquely named war and paar files but rather do this naming during deployment.

[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by jbeisch on 24-Nov-2014 09:16

Makes sense and many thanks guys!

This thread is closed