11.4 - Unable to connect to shared-memory database

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 04-Nov-2014 17:21

Hi.

Using OE 11. 4 and Win 8.1, I am trying to connect via shared-memory to a database server started with proserve via AppServer. Unfortunately, the AppServer will not start and it insists that no database server is running although it is.

A client-server connection via the AppServer works ok.

I can also connect without error via shared-memory to this same database via the Procedure Editor.

I've never had this issues on Win7 or Windows server. Is this a Windows 8.1 thing? Am I losing my mind?

All Replies

Posted by gdb390 on 05-Nov-2014 04:40

Is it possible to share the startup parameters of the appserver ?

and the log files ?

Kind regards

Gerd

Posted by Mike Fechner on 05-Nov-2014 04:42

Hi Jeff,

this sounds not unknown to me. And that since many releases back. So I doubt this was a recent change.

My understanding is, that when the DB is started from proenv, it’s started under your natural user account and the AppServer processes typically running under LocalSystem don’t have access rights to the shared memory.

Either start the DB using the Admin Service as well, so that it’s running under LocalSystem as well or start the AppServer under a natural user account (the KBase tells you how).

Mike

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 05-Nov-2014 07:13

Hi.

Even with the admin server running as myself, it refuses to connect and gives error 1423.

For the apperver startup parameters, I have no parameters at all except for the –db <path to db> in an effort to minimize possibilities.

Very strange. I’ve done this hundreds of times but this is the first time on Win8.

jeff

Posted by TheMadDBA on 05-Nov-2014 10:26

Are just getting the 1423 error and no other errors before that? Nothing interesting in the appserver logs?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 06-Nov-2014 09:35

Just the 1423 error. It errors out right away. Usually the appserver churns for  bit before it complains but it comes back right away as soon as I try to start it.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 06-Nov-2014 09:35

Just the 1423 error. It errors out right away. Usually the appserver churns for  bit before it complains but it comes back right away as soon as I try to start it.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 06-Nov-2014 12:10

Hmmm... everything is started as the same user and you are using the full path to the db with no drive aliases?

Can't really think of anything else besides a typo or special character somewhere that could cause that.

Pretty much everything else should be throwing different errors first (32 bit vs 64 bit, permissions, etc).

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 06-Nov-2014 13:34

Yep.. same user, same machine.. all local. It's the darndest thing. I'll knock on the tech support door and see if they have any insight. The same configuration works fine on Win7 and Windows server.

Posted by Richard Shulman on 06-Nov-2014 13:39

Hello Jeff,

Have you tried this connection by the AppServer to any other database in shared memory?

How deeply nested in the file directory structure is the database?

If you haven't tested a connection to another DB in shared memory then test that first, and if that works then put that database in the same directory as the failing db and see if it starts failing.

Maybe the issue isn't the db but the directory or the depth of the file path.

Thanks

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 11-Nov-2014 10:17

Hmm.. I replied to this a couple of times via email but it didn't make it through.

The AppServer cannot connect to the sports database via shared memory either.

The directory structure is only two levels deep. It works ok with Win7 and WinServer 2008.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 14-Nov-2014 07:16

For those who may be interested, PSC tech support were able to reproduce my issue. I'll update this thread with the end result in case it may be useful for others.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 09-Dec-2014 07:20

For those interested, PSC tech support tells me that this is logged as a low priority bug. The work-around is to start the AdminServer manually from the command line.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 09-Dec-2014 08:55

Low priority? That sounds like a bad choice unless there a lot of DB corruption/shutdown bugs that I am not aware of...

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 09-Dec-2014 09:47

I agree. It only seems to be an issue on Windows 8.1 though so maybe that is why.

This thread is closed