10.2A to 11.3 -What are the Fixes

Posted by susieq_va on 02-Jul-2014 16:05

I have been charged with the task of finding what has changed in OpenEdge since 10.2a02 to 11.3. What enhancements, what bug fixes, Did ODBC problems get fixed, performance, etc. I have read release notes and papers everywhere and still can't get a short bullet by bullet list. Has anyone else had to create this list? Can anyone give me any information or point me in the right direction?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 02-Jul-2014 23:40

For enhancements, there are two main sources of info.  First, each point release (10.2B, 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3) has its own documentation set, and each one contains a New and Revised Features manual.  That will give you a high-level breakdown of additions and changes by functional area (language, tools, DB, AppServer, etc.) from one release to the next. 

Second, there are release notes for each service pack of each point release that detail the changes they contain.  Mostly these are bug fixes, but occasionally new functionality arrives in service packs, particularly in the later SPs of 10.2B.  In your case I wouldn't worry about the 10.x service pack release notes.  All of the new stuff added there is also in 11.x if you're upgrading to 11.3.2.

If your boss wants a list of bug fixes from 10.2A02 to 11.3, it won't be a short bullet list ;)

When upgrading it is a good idea to consult the Platform Availability Guides, both for the platform compatibility info and the lists of deprecated and de-supported features.

If there are specific functional areas you're interested in, I suggest you consult the Knowledge Base or ask specific questions here.  That is likely to yield more useful and detailed information than asking about all changes that have occurred across five major releases.

You may also want to consult the session material from the recently-completed PUG Challenge Americas conference.  It included sessions on What's New in the ABL in 11.x and What's New in the Database in 11.x.  Slides from all of the conference presentations are available here.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Jul-2014 16:23

Major features here www.oehive.org/versionhistory

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 02-Jul-2014 23:40

For enhancements, there are two main sources of info.  First, each point release (10.2B, 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3) has its own documentation set, and each one contains a New and Revised Features manual.  That will give you a high-level breakdown of additions and changes by functional area (language, tools, DB, AppServer, etc.) from one release to the next. 

Second, there are release notes for each service pack of each point release that detail the changes they contain.  Mostly these are bug fixes, but occasionally new functionality arrives in service packs, particularly in the later SPs of 10.2B.  In your case I wouldn't worry about the 10.x service pack release notes.  All of the new stuff added there is also in 11.x if you're upgrading to 11.3.2.

If your boss wants a list of bug fixes from 10.2A02 to 11.3, it won't be a short bullet list ;)

When upgrading it is a good idea to consult the Platform Availability Guides, both for the platform compatibility info and the lists of deprecated and de-supported features.

If there are specific functional areas you're interested in, I suggest you consult the Knowledge Base or ask specific questions here.  That is likely to yield more useful and detailed information than asking about all changes that have occurred across five major releases.

You may also want to consult the session material from the recently-completed PUG Challenge Americas conference.  It included sessions on What's New in the ABL in 11.x and What's New in the Database in 11.x.  Slides from all of the conference presentations are available here.

This thread is closed