OpenEdge 10.1B and Squirrel

Posted by MSOAndy on 06-May-2014 04:11

Hi, I've been trying to setup Squirrel with Progress OpenEdge 10.1B by following this document-

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000032547

It's all been fine until I hit this section-

For the versions of OpenEdge 9.1E and 10.0B the file to add is /usr/dlc/java/jdbc.jar

For the versions of OpenEdge 10.1a, 10.1b, 10.1C and 10.2a the files to add are
/usr/dlc/java/openedge.jar 
/usr/dlc/java/util.jar
/usr/dlc/java/base.jar
Now what are these files and where do I find them? I'm not even sure what these paths refer to, honestly. I'm a little ignorant when it comes to Progress OpenEdge as this project has been handed off to me and I've never used it before.
Thanks and I'd appreciate any help you could give me!

Posted by Richard Shulman on 06-May-2014 12:17

Hello MSOAndy,

The directory DLC is just an identify to where Progress / OpenEdge is installed.  It can be named differently during the installation but we use DLC to mean the installation directory.

The java directory under this should be in every installation.

The files openedge.jar, util.jar, and base.jar provide the JDBC code for a JDBC connection by SQuirreL.

In this case, this files would be needed on whatever machine SQirreL was running on.

That article presumes that SQuirrel has been installed on the same system that Progress / OpenEdge was installed.

Hope this helps.

All Replies

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 06-May-2014 04:16

You can find them under your OpenEdge install directory. DLC (or dlc) refers to install directory.

For instance: if you have OpenEdge installed in /dir1/dir2, you can find these files under /dir1/dir2/java

Posted by MSOAndy on 06-May-2014 04:35

Ok great- I presume this would be on the server we have OpenEdge installed on? Sorry for the basic question, I'm working backwards on all of this with very little help, so it's pretty confusing.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by Richard Shulman on 06-May-2014 12:17

Hello MSOAndy,

The directory DLC is just an identify to where Progress / OpenEdge is installed.  It can be named differently during the installation but we use DLC to mean the installation directory.

The java directory under this should be in every installation.

The files openedge.jar, util.jar, and base.jar provide the JDBC code for a JDBC connection by SQuirreL.

In this case, this files would be needed on whatever machine SQirreL was running on.

That article presumes that SQuirrel has been installed on the same system that Progress / OpenEdge was installed.

Hope this helps.

Posted by MSOAndy on 07-May-2014 03:35

Excellent, thanks for your help Richard.

This thread is closed