Deployment: Use standalone tomcat or OE webserver for cortic

Posted by Akioma on 26-Mar-2014 09:23

Hi all,

assuming a deployment that implements OpenEdge (11.3.1), Corticon, OEBPM and Rollbase.

What is the recommended way regarding the webserver? Should we use the one that gets installed with OE? Only for OE Mobile/rest, or for BPM/Corticon as well? if not, should we use an additional tomcat for OEBPM and corticon?

Can they all co-exist? or do they need seperate webserver versions...? And what about 3rd party java applications..?

I am getting more and more confused, and the more often I read through the documentation the worse it gets...
Especially when reading through the OEBPM documentation one has to spend days to find the few OE breadcrumbs between the thousands of pages.

Is there any documentation available, any best practices?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mike

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 26-Mar-2014 10:14

> Can they all co-exist? or do they need seperate webserver versions...? And what about 3rd party java applications..?

As a datapoint, Corticon, Rollbase and OE (Mobile/REST) can co-exist in the same instance (I use this configuration for my local dev/testing).

-- peter

[collapse]
assuming a deployment that implements OpenEdge (11.3.1), Corticon, OEBPM and Rollbase.

What is the recommended way regarding the webserver? Should we use the one that gets installed with OE? Only for OE Mobile/rest, or for BPM/Corticon as well? if not, should we use an additional tomcat for OEBPM and corticon?

Can they all co-exist? or do they need seperate webserver versions...? And what about 3rd party java applications..?

I am getting more and more confused, and the more often I read through the documentation the worse it gets...
Especially when reading through the OEBPM documentation one has to spend days to find the few OE breadcrumbs between the thousands of pages.

Is there any documentation available, any best practices?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mike

Posted by Sasha Kraljevic on 26-Mar-2014 10:21

Hi Mike,

It depends whether you are talking about development, or production environment.

You get Tomcat installed with the development - e.g. Developer Studio for OpenEdge, so you will probably deploy production application into another Tomcat instance.

In other words, you should be able to deploy Rollbase, Corticon and WSA/AIA/REST adapters on a single Tomcat instance if you wish to do so. OE BPM currently must be installed in JBoss, so you need that in addition to the Tomcat.

How many instances of Tomcat you need to have depends on the load that your application services are going to impose on the server. For light usage you could have everything running on the same instance, but for more demanding/taxing application, you will have to spread the load over several Tomcat instances and therefore servers.

Rollbase on its own can be deployed on a cluster, having multiple Tomcat instances. Corticon is stateless, so any http load balancer will do the job.

I didn't check the PAG (Progress Availability Guide), or other docs, but Tomcat 7.x should be able to host all of it, except the OE BPM (need JBoss).

Regards

Posted by Jan Krishnamurthy on 27-Mar-2014 12:51

Miike,

As for the Corticon it should be easy to resolve. Any compliant application server would work with Corticon.

So if you used a standalone Tomcat , it'll work with Corticon. You need not use the Tomcat bundled with Corticon.

You can drop the axis.war file into Tomcat Server and get Corticon to work with Tomcat.

- Jan

Posted by cmcguire on 20-Jun-2014 12:29

Regarding the OpenEdge BPM documentation, thank you for your feedback.  We will review and revise the documentation to improve it's usability.  Meanwhile, please feel free to point us to particular sections that you find most problematic.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Jun-2014 13:03

Note that the forthcoming Pacific AppServer is going to allow putting everything in one.

Posted by aagarwal on 23-Jun-2014 08:16

As of now, OEBPM is only supported on JBOSS server. And it is recommended that  nothing else is deployed on it.

This thread is closed