Updating from 10.2A to 10.2B or 11.3, what is better for W2K

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 28-Jan-2014 08:59

Hello,

a production environment should get a newer version than 10.2a because the support is retired.
Now the update could be to the "safe" 10.2B SP(7/8) or "unsafe" 11.3.
How higher are the risks to choose 11.3 instead of 10.2B (win-gui application - no .net)?
Some people think that an update to a newer major version has more potentially risks.

Stefan

Posted by Peter Mellow on 28-Jan-2014 09:10

I am biased of course, but would say that if you are now going to upgrade, go to 11.3. However,  there is more involved in an upgrade to 11.3 as you have to recompile your r-code.

But what do others in the community have to say?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 28-Jan-2014 09:13

Usually good experience with 11.3.1. And 11.3.2 is just waiting in front of the door.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 31-Jan-2014 08:10

[quote user="Stefan Marquardt"]I can't guarantee that this technical update doesn't need a full test of the application.[/quote]

Isn't that a decision that needs to be done based on your QA standards first - not on the likelyhood (or unlikelyhood) of expected technical problems?

Many QA standards say that migrating (major) Progress versions does require a full test.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 26-Feb-2014 09:23

I don't want to be too negative here, but even minor upgrades in the 11.x versions have caused us many headaches and problems which required Progress to provide hotfixes. Most issues were (Oracle) DataServer and Gui for .NET related though, so this might not bother you too much. We're currently on 11.3.2.002 and for now haven't seen any new issues.

I would still suggest treating any update as major and do a full QA on your application before deploying in production.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Mellow on 28-Jan-2014 09:10

I am biased of course, but would say that if you are now going to upgrade, go to 11.3. However,  there is more involved in an upgrade to 11.3 as you have to recompile your r-code.

But what do others in the community have to say?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 28-Jan-2014 09:13

Usually good experience with 11.3.1. And 11.3.2 is just waiting in front of the door.

Posted by manem on 29-Jan-2014 07:05

I would suggest to move to 11.3 because of the reason that it is loaded with so many new features compared to 10.2B.

Posted by Stefan Bolte on 31-Jan-2014 07:44

Hi Stefan,

your OE 10.2A code should run stable on 10.2_SP8 as well as on OE 11.3.1 (or .2 when released).

Which kind of potential issues do you suspect with OE 11.3?

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 31-Jan-2014 08:03

Unkown application errors caused by version upgrade.

I can't guarantee that this technical update doesn't need a full test of the application.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 31-Jan-2014 08:10

[quote user="Stefan Marquardt"]I can't guarantee that this technical update doesn't need a full test of the application.[/quote]

Isn't that a decision that needs to be done based on your QA standards first - not on the likelyhood (or unlikelyhood) of expected technical problems?

Many QA standards say that migrating (major) Progress versions does require a full test.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 26-Feb-2014 09:23

I don't want to be too negative here, but even minor upgrades in the 11.x versions have caused us many headaches and problems which required Progress to provide hotfixes. Most issues were (Oracle) DataServer and Gui for .NET related though, so this might not bother you too much. We're currently on 11.3.2.002 and for now haven't seen any new issues.

I would still suggest treating any update as major and do a full QA on your application before deploying in production.

This thread is closed