Migration from Progress to Dot Net

Posted by Admin on 05-Jun-2007 02:52

I have an application coded in Progress having its Business Logic also in Progress.

Now i want to migrate from Progress to Dot Net. I want the front end in Dot Net and Business Logic in Progress only.

How can I do that?

Also is there any migration tool available for Progress DB to Dot Net.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 06-Jun-2007 12:41

Now i want to migrate from Progress to Dot Net. I

want the front end in Dot Net and Business Logic in

Progress only.

How can I do that?

Get a lot of money and resources

No kidding, you have two options:

1) wait for Progress to release it's .Net UI integration strategy

2) split your business logic from the UI-logic and run your business logic on a Progress AppServer. Define a protocol between your .Net frontend and the AppServer backend.

Try to update yourself via the "architecture" forums. That way you will realize that redesiging the application architecture is the hard work.

Also is there any migration tool available for

Progress DB to Dot Net.

You mean from Progress database to for instance Sql Server, MySql, Oracle, DB2? Well, what good will that do, since you will have done is the following:

- rewritten your user interface in .Net

- rewritten your business logic so it runs on the AppServer and has no UI-logic

- have to use a Progress DataServer to be able to run your Progress business logic against SqlServer/Oracle

- limited yourself, since you can't use db-specific features in your business logic, since you're running against a DataServer

- you can't really use 4GL database triggers against the DataServer unless you really know what you're doing

I think you have to make up your mind wether or not you want to stick on the Progress RDBMS. If not, why write 4GL business logic?

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 18-Jun-2007 13:50

Also see 'OpenEdge Development: .Net Open Clients' which is in the OpenEdge doc set.

This thread is closed