How to migrate from openedge 10.0B to 10.1B / 10.0B to 10.1A

Posted by mhtan88 on 28-Aug-2007 21:21

Hi,

I facing 3 problems down here.

1) can 10.1B framework able to migrate 10.0B database to 10.1B?

2) if possible to migrate ICFDB 10.0B to 10.1B. all the object/application that we previously created one. can be use

back? or totally need to redo all the program?

3) the migration guide is not really descriptive at all. where can I get the good guide for it?

thank you.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Aug-2007 11:34

I am reading between the lines a bit here, but it seems to me that you have two different issues. Merely migrating database and code between these releases is trivial. If, however, you are using one of the PSC supplied frameworks, then you have some testing to do. It is always possible to migrate versions and continue to use the old framework, if you are in a hurry, but one almost always wants to move to the new framework when one can. That is a matter of testing.

Posted by mhtan88 on 03-Sep-2007 22:22

thx, but, regarding the framework. the GUI program that I have developed in 10.0B ICFDB, is it possible to migrate/use back in 10.1B? because, I can see that, that is similar with eclipes design. and I 'm unable to use "Open Object" to open my developed object in previous 10.0B icfdb. Please advise. thank you. ^^

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Sep-2007 22:37

I can't comment on the details because I don't use those frameworks, but if you stop to think that any PSC supplied framework is nothing more than ABL code, then, given the aggressive, upward compatible positioning of PSC, if you take the same code ... which in your case means the old framework ... it will almost certainly run on the new version. Now, chances are, you will also want to migrate the framework, but that can vary from brainless to hard depending on how you have used and altered the framework and is always subject to testing.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-Sep-2007 18:46

Like Dr. Hursh I do not use those tools but the trick, in these cases, is to make sure that when you upgrade you only do a version upgrade of databases and developed code.

You can upgrade the db engine and the Progress executables, and a "proutil convXY" if needed, but do NOT upgrade your development tools (or do anything that alters the schema of repository databases and such).

This thread is closed