Virtualizing 8.3.

Posted by fixitchris on 12-Oct-2009 07:42

I want to move a physical server running Progress8.3 to a VMware virtual machine.  Are there any known issues that I should be aware of?  Will the license keys continue to work ?

-chris

All Replies

Posted by gus on 12-Oct-2009 11:18

There is a good chance that it will work fine, but I don't now of anyone who has tried.

Regardless of which version one runs in a VM, one thing to watch out for is that if the thing running in the VM has less physical resources than your server, it will not perform as well.  There will be a "cpu tax". The amount of this tax will depend on the VM you use and the age of the hardware it is running on, but 5 percent is common. Older hardware will have a higher tax.

Posted by fixitchris on 12-Oct-2009 11:49

heh, funny that you mention that.  The 8.3 code is running on old, old h/w.  It should enjoy running with much more resources

Posted by gus on 12-Oct-2009 11:56

Yes, indeed. Just remember that even in a VM, the number of disk spindles

matters. The more the merrier.

-gus

Posted by fixitchris on 12-Oct-2009 12:45

I'll keep you updated. The servers are NT4 so right now I'm having trouble running vConverter... most likely because the BIOS hasn't been updated since  a loooong time ago.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 13-Oct-2009 08:33

I have at least one customer who is doing that.  OS was (is) SCO though.

They had some initial issues because the original server was a single CPU and the VM was multi-core.  They also made the mistake of sharing the filesystems on top of a RAID5 whereas on the original server they had had JBOD.  Ultimately those things got changed and the overall experience has been a big improvement.  If they would just upgrade to OE10 we'd be cooking with gas.

This thread is closed