Autostarting Tomcat with the AdminService in 11.3

Posted by jbeisch on 23-Jul-2013 13:52

We've not used the Tomcat that comes bundled with Progress until our current working with the 11.3 beta.  I've noticed there is no way to autostart the tomcat service directly/in concert with the adminservice with any Progress tool or parameter.  I understand it could be scripted to start and that there's something in the PDS to automatically start it but I'm wondering if there will be, or perhaps I'm missing, a way to autostart Tomcat with the AdminService.

I'm think in terms of the same way AppServer brokers, WebService Adapters, REST Managers, Databases, etc start with the AdminService when it starts.

Thanks!

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 23-Jul-2013 13:58

I don't think that there's a way as you describe.

You can run scripts from OEM, and there's the protc batch file in $DLC/bin. 'protc start' will start the server. 'protc stop' will stop it.

-- peter

Posted by Matt Baker on 23-Jul-2013 13:59

You're not missing anything.  The tomcat in the box support in OEE/OEM is minimal.  AdminServer itself doesn't support it, as its strictly a feature of OEM/OEE, so there is no remote monitoring abilities either as it is intended purely for to support development tools (PDS).  The only command line tooling is 'protc' which is a wrapper around the catalina startup scripts, unlike other ones such as asbman and similar which do hook into the adminserver.  This of course can be scripted as you mentioned.

This of course isn't to say it can't be added; it just isn't there right now as it's support in OEE was intended to be minimal.

Posted by jbeisch on 23-Jul-2013 14:12

Thanks guys and I did get that feeling from reading what little I could find on it.  Do we know if this is not going to be something intended for deployments?  Should I not count on using that instance for deployments and rather install another instance of Tomcat when needed?  We're just in the beginning of determining the configuration of this stuff in our deployed environments so I just want to make sure I run in a "best practice" or truly supported configuration.  At least as best as anyone can suppose.

Posted by Matt Baker on 23-Jul-2013 14:25

Don't use it for deployments. The tomcat shipped with OpenEdge is only installed with PDS, so you can't rely on having an installer for it.

You can deploy the oerm.war file and your application .war file(s) into some other Tomcat as-is built from PDS.  Once installed you'll still need to adjust the security settings for your deployment environment.  You don't want to use the setup that PDS pushes to tomcat through OEM since that is setup for its deployment to test in PDS for a development environment, and not for your production environment.

I suggest reading up on spring security so you understand what changes you may need to make to the container (Tomcat) and application (your .war files).

This thread is closed