CHUI V10.1C Application Integration with MS Dynamics

Posted by singh.sagardeep on 04-Mar-2020 13:30

Dear Group Members, could someone please advise if a Progress 10.1C CHUI application be integrated with a MS Dynamics ERP System ? - if so, how ?

All Replies

Posted by singh.sagardeep on 06-Mar-2020 00:22

Dear Group Members, would someone be able to assist with the above question ? Appreciate your help.

Regads.

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Mar-2020 10:03

It depends a great deal on what you mean by "integrate". If you mean, can you use Dynamics as a front-end to the database, then probably. If you mean something else, then it's unlikely.

It's worth pointing out that 10.1C is ancient and obsolete. It was current at a time when integrations with other systems were much less likely to be needed. The current verison is 12.1, with 12.2 just around the corner. In general the upgrade route is easy, assuming you are fully paid up on the licenses.

Posted by jonmiller on 06-Mar-2020 11:23

Yes, and no.  MS Dynamics has built in entities that allow data to be loaded into it and data to be extracted from it either via oData or the Data Management Framework.  We export financial documents as XML from our OpenEdge application, transform it through SSIS, and then load it into D365 via an oData connection.  I'm also extracting data from D365, again using SSIS oData connectors, creating a simple extract and emailing it as a .csv for reporting purposes.  

D365 can also utilise PowerApps and PowerAutomate for integrations.  

If you are talking about the D365 application directly linking to the OpenEdge database then you will be looking at heavy customisation of the D365 application, which may or may not be possible, and only if you are hosting on prem rather than in Azure.  If you are talking about passing data between the two then yes it is possible however you pain will depend on exactly how and what you are trying to integrate.

Posted by singh.sagardeep on 07-Mar-2020 01:12

Hi James & jonmiller, thanks for your reply. I truly appreciate. I will explain the scenario more in detail as below:

My question is more around an application which is a GUI & CHUI in 10.1C (standalone application) which requires to have data from it, sent to MS Dynamics ERP (which is a separate standalone ERP, but requires data from the Progress 10.1C system on a regular basis). One of the easiest ways may be to write routines which extract data from the Progress application and convert into XML and send to an intermediate integration engine - like SonicMQ & then the ERP picks up the data from JMS queues of SonicMQ (with this scenario, I am not sure if a MS application can interact with JMS queues of SonicMQ). Another option may be to FTP files in a CSV format to a location from where the MS Dynamics routines can pick the data for use.

However, I want to know the possible options via which such a data exchange between Progress 10.1C applications and MS Dynamics. Does Progress 10.1C provide any in built routines to directly interact with MS Dynamics (as it does for SonicMQ integration). ?

Also you mentioned about the upgrade route, so would an upgraded version of application provide an easier way to do such a data exchange & how woudd that be ?

Appreciate your replies. Looking forward to hear from you.

Posted by singh.sagardeep on 07-Mar-2020 01:16

Hi jonmiller, thank you for your reply, i posted more details in reply to James. Request you to please have a look at my reply where I have given more details of the expected scenario. It is more of a data exchange between 10.1x to an MS Dynamics ERP and how can we do that. Looking forward for expert advise from technical gurus as you and James.

Posted by singh.sagardeep on 12-Mar-2020 13:27

Dear Progress Technicians, any advise ?

Posted by Neil Treeby on 12-Mar-2020 13:37

MS Dynamics doesn't have any kind of API to directly integrate with it (not that we were able to figure out).  All our ABL<-->Dynamics interaction is via middleware (MSMQ, BizTalk, Neuron ESB).  Nor were we able to figure out any way to have Dynamics kick off custom X++ scripts outside of its built-in developer mode IDE.

And while Dynamics builds an abstraction layer on top of the SQL dbs and tells you not to directly work with the SQL dbs, you can always use the OE MSS Dataserver product to talk directly to the SQL dbs, though I recommend a read-only stance in that regard.

Posted by singh.sagardeep on 12-Mar-2020 14:07

Hi Neil, thank you for your reply. Can SonicMQ as well be used as middleware for integrating with MSDynamics. ? SonicMQ uses JMS queues, and whilst I have used SonicMQ in the past to integrate as a middleware between a Progress application and WebMethods (as WebMethods supports reading from JMS Queues), I am not sure if MSDynamics would be able to read data that would be put by a Progress application into Sonic's JMS Queues.

This thread is closed