os-delete does not delete file completely in windows10

Posted by ankitagrawal1234 on 07-Jan-2020 09:21

Hi Folks,

I have a scenario where I create a html file and open it on Internet explorer by using windows shell32.dll and then delete it by using os-delete command. This html file does not delete completely until I close my web browser. This html file is showing in directory however I can not open it. This is causing issue when the same process runs again and try to create a new html file with same name and web browser is not closed. This is working fine with windows 7 but causing issue on Windows 10 only.

I tried various options like OS-command del \f but did not resolve the issue. It seems like IE keeps temporary files and does not delete until I close web browser manually.

Is anyone has any idea or workaround?

Thanks,

Ankit

All Replies

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 07-Jan-2020 11:07

An easy workaround is to generate a unique filename for your html file. This way it does not matter whether an old file exist and - as a bonus - allows for multiple users generating the same file at the same time.

But beware of the folder becoming full if you do not clean up the files. I had this once on a server where I generated random file names, consisting of 6 numbers. After about a year, the process of generating a new file became slow, because it took a random number, checked whether that number was already in use and then generated the file. But after a year, almost all numbers were used, resulting in long generation time for a new file and a VERY full folder. 

Posted by ssouthwe on 07-Jan-2020 14:43

Another thing you could try is to rename the file prior to deletion. Then even if it hangs around, it doesn't interfere with the filename you need.

Posted by ssouthwe on 07-Jan-2020 14:43

Another thing you could try is to rename the file prior to deletion. Then even if it hangs around, it doesn't interfere with the filename you need.

This thread is closed