New Deferred Logging in PASOE

Posted by dbeavon on 28-Sep-2019 01:02

Has anyone tested the "deferred logging" feature in PASOE?

https://docs.progress.com/bundle/pas-for-openedge-admin/page/Use-deferred-logging-in-PAS-for-OpenEdge.html

It looks like this is new in PASOE for 11.7.5.  It sounds like it is some sort of an in-memory "flight-recorder" that will capture the last moments of time before an agent process dies.  If necessary you can also pre-emptively request the contents of the in-memory buffer using REST.

This might have some potential.  The theory is that the new "deferred" logging will have better performance than a regular log since it is just buffering into memory.  That may give us the opportunity to use a much higher "deferred" logging level than the stuff that goes straight to disk.  It also allows us to have less noise and clutter in the regular agent logs on disk.

I suspect that this is the feature which caused normal agent logging to start misbehaving in 11.7.5 (... and I'm hoping it was worth it!)

Posted by Irfan on 28-Sep-2019 01:59

David,

Deferred logging is not added to 11.7.5, It is  added only in 12.1. We intended to add it in 11.7.5 at first, but we didn't.

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 28-Sep-2019 01:59

David,

Deferred logging is not added to 11.7.5, It is  added only in 12.1. We intended to add it in 11.7.5 at first, but we didn't.

Posted by dbeavon on 28-Sep-2019 15:14

[*-)] You need to add more emojis on this forum like they have on github.  This would definitely get a frowny face!

What I'm hearing is that those of us on 11.7.5 got some half-portion of the underlying programming changes, and the result is that we get all of the bugs but none of the benefits.

The two issues I had noticed have been that (1) my logging level is somehow coerced to another value that is different than what I had specified, and that (2) the dynamic changing of agent logging won't take effect anymore.  Even better yet ...  since 11.7 is in maintenance mode and this isn't considered a high priority, we have to wait at least six months for the regressions to be fixed again in 11.7.6.

Here are my findings related to pasoe agent logging:

This thread is closed