Needed licenses for moving from classic Appserver (OE 11.6

Posted by Jimmer on 23-May-2019 06:18

Hello,

With regards to the needed licenses for moving from the classic Appserver to PAS OE, do you guys have an idea how it is done, what should the new license count/type be, etc...?

i.e. if a site has currently 3 Appservers (One with 5 agents, the other two with 10 agents each for a total of 25 agents as per the "OE Application Svr Ent" component count) running on OE 11.6 32 bit, how would that translate, from a license perspective, when moving to PAS OE? 

And anything to watch for?

Thanks

Regards,

JM

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 23-May-2019 06:31

All depends on your current license metric, are you on concurrent user or named user/registered client metric?

If you are on a named user/registered client metric, basically nothing will change. Otherwise a conversion will need to take place, since there is no concurrent user metric for PASOE.

Best is to contact your account manager @Progress to get a migration plan in place.

All Replies

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 23-May-2019 06:31

All depends on your current license metric, are you on concurrent user or named user/registered client metric?

If you are on a named user/registered client metric, basically nothing will change. Otherwise a conversion will need to take place, since there is no concurrent user metric for PASOE.

Best is to contact your account manager @Progress to get a migration plan in place.

Posted by Jimmer on 23-May-2019 07:08

Ok, so if I have 25 named users on the classic, they'll get translated  to 25 named user on PAS OE? Do you have an idea if there is a price to pay in this case since there is no "conversion"?

Just to have an idea what I need to ask for.

Thanks

JM

Posted by rkumar on 23-May-2019 10:15

Page 13 of the OpenEdge 12.0 Product Availability guide here (docs.progress.com/.../OpenEdge-12-Product-Availability-Guide.pdf) mentions the following

"Trade-in Value is available for OpenEdge Application Server licenses that are under a current Maintenance contract, towards the purchase of PAS for OpenEdge."

I believe the exact details will have to be worked out with your account manager.

Posted by bronco on 23-May-2019 10:43

PASOE named users are more expensive than Classic AS named users. So you probably won't get 25 named PASOE user back without paying extra.

The trade-on value means the amount of money.

Posted by Jimmer on 23-May-2019 13:15

Ok, I see, thanks.

And from the application performance perspective, is there a formula to estimate/calculate how many PAS OE licenses we'll need if we're moving (like in the example above) from a 25 agents distributed among 3 classic appservers? Is it a one to one thing or ...?

This is assuming that the application will keep servicing the same amount of requests.

Thanks,

Regards,

JM

This thread is closed