Web Service and SAX callback handling in OOABL

Posted by Neil Treeby on 11-Apr-2019 17:28

Will the ABL ever support OOABL methods in the SET-CALLBACK-PROCEDURE() method on Web Service calls?

So instead of:

METHOD DoSoapCall():

RUN thing1 SET hThing1 ON hWebService.

RUN CallbackProc.p PERSISTENT SET hCallbackProc.

hThing1:SET-CALLBACK-PROCEDURE("REQUEST-HEADER", "setHeader", hCallbackProc)

END METHOD.

I would be able to do:

METHOD DoSoapCall():

RUN thing1 SET hThing1 ON hWebService.

hThing1:SET-CALLBACK("REQUEST-HEADER", "SetHeader", THIS-OBJECT).

END METHOD.

Likewise will the ABL ever support OOABL methods as SAX callbacks?

Apologies if this has been brought up in enhancement requests already, but it's not easy to search specifically in the Enhancements group.  OOABL has been around for over a decade and I'm surprised neither of these areas has been addressed.

Posted by frank.meulblok on 12-Apr-2019 07:37

The enhancement request is out there: community.progress.com/.../remove_need_to_use_procedures_where_methods_would_be_more_appropriate

Found that by going through the knowledge base: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P120881

It celebrated it's 5th birthday in early February; I'd say this is long overdue.

All Replies

Posted by frank.meulblok on 12-Apr-2019 07:37

The enhancement request is out there: community.progress.com/.../remove_need_to_use_procedures_where_methods_would_be_more_appropriate

Found that by going through the knowledge base: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P120881

It celebrated it's 5th birthday in early February; I'd say this is long overdue.

Posted by Neil Treeby on 12-Apr-2019 12:35

Thanks for finding this.  I've upvoted the enhancement request, for what it's worth.

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 12-Apr-2019 14:15

I can understand your frustration that the object-oriented capabilities of the ABL have not received the focus that many believe it deserves.  Feedback from the Community is one source of input utilized by Product Management to help identify the features which will be included in a release and therefore raising your concerns and observations is extremely valuable.

The issue you have identified is already part of the Language team’s object-oriented backlog.  Furthermore, as part of our discussions with Product Management, the need to address items from this backlog has been raised and this post will be noted in our continuing discussions.

OpenEdge Development teams recently posted to the CVP (Customer Validation Program), information concerning the specific features being worked on during the current three month interval (see community.progress.com/.../57493).  Object-oriented candidate features identified for development would be noted through the CVP in the future.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 14-Apr-2019 18:30

for those who are unfamiliar with evan's terminology, when he says it is "part of the backlog", that means it is on the "to do list". this means he plans to someday do something to address the problem. note also that he does not say when and he won't so don't ask.

This thread is closed