OE12 and Workgroup

Posted by PhilF on 11-Apr-2019 12:30

There are lots of cool features announced for OE12.  Is there any document that indicates which of them are available only for Enterprise, and which are available to Workgroup?

I'd like to see Progress begin publishing feature lists with this information by default.  Something as simple as a footnote would work.

Thanks,

-- Phil

Posted by PhilF on 11-Apr-2019 20:20

Thanks, Rob.  Yes -- I can guess which new features are in Workgroup and which are not, but I really shouldn't have to.  And I might guess wrong.  For instance, are enhancements to replication (i.e. AI Streaming) license specific?

My two cents:  a KB article with the details is a good and welcome thing.  But wouldn't it make sense to make that information easy to find when I am going through the list of nifty-cool new features?  Frankly, I look at it now and say "I don't know for sure, but the odds are that there is little here for my (largely Workgroup) client base.  I'll just ignore v12.0, and check back in 6 months or a year."  That's probably not the level of excitement that Progress Corporation was hoping to generate with this new release.  :-)

But I'm guessing your answer is the definitive one -- there is no such list at this time.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 11-Apr-2019 20:34

> In general, anything that improves scalability or performance of the OpenEdge Database is targeted to the Enterprise Database only

In general, perhaps, but not in all cases.  OpenEdge TDE, for example, is not a scalability or performance enhancement, but it is Enterprise-only.

Clearly someone at PSC has this info, at it is built into the products.  Customers and partners would appreciate a complete and up-to-date reference.  And the availability of it (i.e. on a product info page, not buried in a KB) might even drive more sales of Enterprise RDBMS.

All Replies

Posted by Cheryl LaBarge on 11-Apr-2019 13:18

Quick answer...

[View:https://docs.progress.com/bundle/openedge-whats-new/page/Welcome-to-OpenEdge-Release-12.0.html#:550:50] 

Longer answer:

Check out [View:https://docs.progress.com/:550:50]

• On the landing page is What's New in 12.0 that introduces the new content web site.
  • Watch the video Video: Welcome to the Progress OpenEdge Information Hub ([View:https://docs.progress.com/bundle/videos-openedge-12/page/Welcome-to-the-Progress-OpenEdge-Information-Hub.html:550:50]) to learn about the new content deliver hub.
  • Try the new search engine to search across all the books in 12.0

Posted by PhilF on 11-Apr-2019 14:47

Thanks, Cheryl.  I've been through these pages already; I didn't see any mention of Workgroup.  I also entered the word workgroup into the Hub and got no useful hits.  

Did I miss something?

Posted by PhilF on 11-Apr-2019 14:47

Thanks, Cheryl.  I've been through these pages already; I didn't see any mention of Workgroup.  I also entered the word workgroup into the Hub and got no hits.  

Did I miss something?

Posted by Rob Straight on 11-Apr-2019 18:19

I don't know of a list that breaks down Enterprise vs. Workgroup new 12.0 features. In general, anything that improves scalability or performance of the OpenEdge Database is targeted to the Enterprise Database only, on the assumption that with 50 or fewer users, these characteristics are of significantly less importance to Workgroup users.

This Knowledge Base article gives all of the details of the difference between the two database editions, valid through OpenEdge 11.7 - knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P122980. It likely has not changed significantly with the release of 12.0, and an update to the Knowledge Base will likely be added.

Posted by PhilF on 11-Apr-2019 20:20

Thanks, Rob.  Yes -- I can guess which new features are in Workgroup and which are not, but I really shouldn't have to.  And I might guess wrong.  For instance, are enhancements to replication (i.e. AI Streaming) license specific?

My two cents:  a KB article with the details is a good and welcome thing.  But wouldn't it make sense to make that information easy to find when I am going through the list of nifty-cool new features?  Frankly, I look at it now and say "I don't know for sure, but the odds are that there is little here for my (largely Workgroup) client base.  I'll just ignore v12.0, and check back in 6 months or a year."  That's probably not the level of excitement that Progress Corporation was hoping to generate with this new release.  :-)

But I'm guessing your answer is the definitive one -- there is no such list at this time.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 11-Apr-2019 20:34

> In general, anything that improves scalability or performance of the OpenEdge Database is targeted to the Enterprise Database only

In general, perhaps, but not in all cases.  OpenEdge TDE, for example, is not a scalability or performance enhancement, but it is Enterprise-only.

Clearly someone at PSC has this info, at it is built into the products.  Customers and partners would appreciate a complete and up-to-date reference.  And the availability of it (i.e. on a product info page, not buried in a KB) might even drive more sales of Enterprise RDBMS.

Posted by Cheryl LaBarge on 04-Jun-2019 20:33

You didn't miss anything. I did. I read your original post quickly and was hoping that the "What's new in OpenEdge 12.0" would be useful.

The content on docs.progress.com is meant to be inclusive of all database features as Rob mentioned. It doesn't make a distinction for those available only in the Enterprise edition and not available in the Workgroup edition.

Posted by Cheryl LaBarge on 04-Jun-2019 20:33

You didn't miss anything. I did. I read your original post quickly and was hoping that the "What's new in OpenEdge 12.0" would be useful.

The content on docs.progress.com is meant to inclusive of all database features as Rob mentioned. It doesn't make a distinction for those available only in the Enterprise edition and not available in the Workgroup edition.

This thread is closed