XREF xml namespace/schema (11.3 vs 11.7)

Posted by dbeavon on 09-Apr-2019 14:20

We're migrating from 11.3 to 11.7.  Like many others, we create quite a bit of development tooling to fill the gaps in OpenEdge. 

One thing we use extensively is the "cross-reference" outputs from the compiler (XREF XML).  There are no tools from Progress that make use of this xref data after it is generated (see https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000044671 ).  But we created our own tools, and use the data to guide our software development, since it allows us to see where certain programs are referenced in code, and where database schema is referenced as well.

After generating xref xml output from the new OE 11.7 I noticed that the xml schema namespace was changed.  It is now "uri:schemas-progress-com:XREFD:0005" rather than "uri:schemas-progress-com:XREFD:0004".  Based on my experiences with other third-party vendors, the schema namespace has significance, and a change in the namespace is done for a reason.  Moreover, there are typically reference materials that can be used to find out more about a given xml namespace or schema.

For all my searching, I'm not finding google hits about either the new namespace ("uri:schemas-progress-com:XREFD:0005") or the old one (uri:schemas-progress-com:XREFD:0004).  Can someone point me to some reference materials?  In particular I'd like to know what the differences are that prompted the creation of the new namespace.

Thanks, Davikd

Posted by frank.meulblok on 09-Apr-2019 14:49

The XML schemas should be included in your OE installation under %dlc$\properties\schemas.

Comparing xrefd0004.xsd and xrefd0005.xsd the main difference is that the later version has an entry "Is-serializable" which shows if an XREF'fed class file is defined as serializable or not.

All Replies

Posted by frank.meulblok on 09-Apr-2019 14:49

The XML schemas should be included in your OE installation under %dlc$\properties\schemas.

Comparing xrefd0004.xsd and xrefd0005.xsd the main difference is that the later version has an entry "Is-serializable" which shows if an XREF'fed class file is defined as serializable or not.

Posted by dbeavon on 09-Apr-2019 15:33

Thank you very much.  I was comparing the outputs and they looked similar; but I hadn't examined outputs from OOABL classes yet.

I don't suppose there are any online references available for this schema?  I guess the next time someone does a google search, they will find your response directing them to DLC\properties\schemas.  And that is at least more than what we had before!

This thread is closed