Deploying Openedge Application to Azure

Posted by oedev on 19-Dec-2018 08:56

Openedge 11.6.3

One of our customers would like to deploy our Openedge application to Azure. Looking at the latest platform guide, only RedHat and Centos appear to be supported OS's ? 

1 - is Windows going to be a supported platform in OE12?

2 - are Progress run-time clients supported on Azure on a Windows OS, if we put our database on RedHat or Centos ?

Thanks.

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 19-Dec-2018 20:04

So, Stefan is right. This paragraph in the platform guide is leading:

OpenEdge Cloud Certification Policy (effective February 2018)

NOTE: The following Cloud support policy and guidelines apply for all Active and Mature OpenEdge releases. Additional details about the OpenEdge Product life cycle can be obtained in the Product Life Cycle Guide located on Progress Communities. Please also note that this policy does NOT apply to any OpenEdge Retired versions. Cloud support for mature/retired releases of the OpenEdge platform and any additional Cloud certifications for OpenEdge mature releases is completely at the discretion of Progress Software.

We support all OpenEdge Active and Mature versions on supported versions of Operating Systems, irrespective of any cloud or hypervisor. In case of any issue, it should be ensured that it is not because of the changes / customization of the cloud platform or hypervisor, i.e. if the same issue is reproducible on a full OS installation then we would provide support in line with the customer’s support agreement.

Progress reserves the right to update this policy from time to time and encourages you to refer to the current version of this document for the latest information on Progress Software’s OpenEdge Cloud certification policy.

The table beneath that section is showing the platforms that we already certified before the section above was added.

So basically every platform is supported if it is registered as such in the guide, regardless of cloud / hypervisor.

All Replies

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 19-Dec-2018 10:48

The platform guide is misleading, the paragraph above certification of specific platforms indicates that /all/ cloud platforms and hypervisors are supported.

Posted by oedev on 19-Dec-2018 13:33

From the current guide, the table on page 7 does only specifically then 2 Linux flavors. Can someone from Progress clarify?

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 19-Dec-2018 13:42

My answer is based on what Progress (Ruben D) responded when we asked the same question.

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 19-Dec-2018 20:04

So, Stefan is right. This paragraph in the platform guide is leading:

OpenEdge Cloud Certification Policy (effective February 2018)

NOTE: The following Cloud support policy and guidelines apply for all Active and Mature OpenEdge releases. Additional details about the OpenEdge Product life cycle can be obtained in the Product Life Cycle Guide located on Progress Communities. Please also note that this policy does NOT apply to any OpenEdge Retired versions. Cloud support for mature/retired releases of the OpenEdge platform and any additional Cloud certifications for OpenEdge mature releases is completely at the discretion of Progress Software.

We support all OpenEdge Active and Mature versions on supported versions of Operating Systems, irrespective of any cloud or hypervisor. In case of any issue, it should be ensured that it is not because of the changes / customization of the cloud platform or hypervisor, i.e. if the same issue is reproducible on a full OS installation then we would provide support in line with the customer’s support agreement.

Progress reserves the right to update this policy from time to time and encourages you to refer to the current version of this document for the latest information on Progress Software’s OpenEdge Cloud certification policy.

The table beneath that section is showing the platforms that we already certified before the section above was added.

So basically every platform is supported if it is registered as such in the guide, regardless of cloud / hypervisor.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 19-Dec-2018 20:42

there be dragons here.

not EVERY feature of EVERY virtual machine is going to work.

for example, moving a running virtual machine with one or more databases from one node in a network will probably fail unless that specific environment and feature has been certified.

some virtual machine environments will perform poorly unless properly configured.

some network storage devices do not work properly and crash recovery will not work on those.

some storage devices will perform poorly evne when they "work".

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 19-Dec-2018 21:42

Hmm... those dragons look suspiciously similar to their physical counterparts. I do admit that physically moving a server from one node to another is a bit more work. :-)

On the other hand - I now see why the abl clients on my laptop are grumpy when I'm walking around the office switching between wifi networks.

Posted by oedev on 20-Dec-2018 07:26

Thanks for the responses, I'm sure our client will be pleased.

Can the documentation be corrected and the table providing incorrect information be removed? Thanks

This thread is closed