Changing PASOE agent logging dynamically

Posted by dbeavon on 03-Dec-2018 14:23

We use the .Net open client, and any time an S.E.H. error is thrown in ABL, we still need to trap it and convert it to the legacy error format (ie.  RETURN ERROR ch-error).    This was true in classic appserver and it still remains true in PASOE.

Unfortunately there are times when an SEH error is not caught, and bypasses our conversion efforts .  The user gets a generic failure message (Runtime4GLErrorException) in the .net open client, and a message is shown in the logs like so:

[18/11/28] P-000768 T-004092 1 AS-33 -- Cannot throw or return error/stop object to remote client because object is not serializable or client does not support it. (14438)

There is nothing more in the logs to say what the error is, or where it came from.  Therefore, unless the end-user decides to report the failure, this mystery message will never be resolved and will continue to appear in the logs forever.

I'm aware that increasing the logging level and adding 4GLTrace to the log entry types will get to the bottom of the problem.  The issues with this is that, (1) logging needs to be turned on for a very long time to diagnose an infrequent error, and will generate tons of logging in the meantime.  This could be worse than living with the mystery message. And (2) I haven't found a way yet to cause PASOE to dynamically adjust its logging, based on changes in openedge.properties config values.  Even if the agent process for an application is stopped individually and a new one is restarted, it doesn't seem to adjust the logs as requested.  The only solution is to restart the entire instance.  This is disruptive to openclient sessions (end users) with long-lived sessions because it will generate error(s) when the PASOE instance is restarted.

Does anyone have any ideas how, in PASOE, to turn on agent logging dynamically until an error message can be captured, then turn it off again?  These are the logging config values I'd like to be able to manipulate: agentLoggingLevel , agentLogEntryTypes.  I'm quite sure that agents won't pick up my changes to openedge.properties (even new ones that are added on the fly) until the entire PASOE/tomcat instance is restarted.  I believe there may be a way to accomplish this type of thing with system-wide custom-code by adjusting LOG-MANAGER properties myself but I'm hoping this won't be necessary if there is something already built into PASOE that I've overlooked.

Also, is there any log entry type that I may have overlooked that is specifically for S.E.H. error handling.  Ideally I'd be able to turn on logging for all errors thrown ("first-chance" errors) and that would reduce the amount of information sent to the agent logs (as compared to 4GLTrace).

Any help would be appreciated.  I found some links to some very helpful information about logging and PASOE troubleshooting.  But they don't give me a way to adjust logging for an ABL application on the fly without restarting the entire instance.

http://pugchallenge.org/downloads2017/2017NAPUGLogFilesA.pptx 
https://knowledgebase.progress.com/servlet/fileField?id=0BEa0000000TisZ

Thanks in advance, David

Posted by Laura Stern on 04-Dec-2018 21:01

Oh.  So you are not talking about what goes into the AppServer log.  You are talking about what gets sent back to the Open Client code.  In that I totally agree with you.  Or I should say WE totally agree with you.  In version 12, we have already fixed this, but so far only for Java Open clients.  i.e,. Error objects can now be serialized back to the client and you will get the error message and error number on the client side. So you would leave in your BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW directive and would not need your special CATCH block logic anymore.  

Unfortunately, we have not done it yet for .NET Open clients, but it is on the roadmap.  You can press product management to make this a higher priority.

And until that happens, at least you should avoid getting error 14438 by removing the BLOCK-LEVEL directive from your top-level server procedures.  Then you will at least see the error message in the AppServer log file even if it doesn't make it back to the client.

Posted by dbeavon on 17-Jan-2019 20:21

An update on this.... Irfan claims that in production on 11.7.4 I should be able to change the logging level on the fly.  

This should allow me to turn up logging to 4 (extended) for long enough to capture the source of a problem and then turn it off again.

The key is a property, "allowRuntimeUpdates", in PASOE.  As important as this sounds, I am not getting a lot of hits for that property in my google searches.  I'm really hoping it works as described!  I may have to stop pre-existing agent processes for the change to take effect, but even that would be a fairly reasonable compromise.

Posted by dbeavon on 17-Jan-2019 20:23

An update on this ... Irfan thinks that logging levels might be able to change on the fly via a PASOE property, allowRuntimeUpdates, which is in OE 11.7.4

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 04-Dec-2018 00:36

I think the biggest problem with this...

Cannot throw or return error/stop object to remote client because object is not serializable or client does not support it. (14438)

... is that it is essentially the equivalent of an "unhandled exception" which is escaping ABL/PASOE . But there is no more information than that.

The logs don't have any additional detail, and the .Net openclient receives no additional information than a generic message saying that an error occurred. That is not what software developers generally expect from unhandled exceptions. There is a lot more information that is available within our S.E.H Progress errors, including their data type, member fields, and stack information, and ToString() output. Why can't this stuff be written somewhere? I probably wouldn't even mind if the MS-agent-session crashed as long as it gave me the relevant information about the unhandled exception that was escaping the ABL runtime environment.

We have configured our sessions using the -errorstack.  Is there any other parameter I can use to force the session to spill all the related error information that is available?

Posted by Laura Stern on 04-Dec-2018 14:41

I'm a little confused.  The only way an object is thrown out of a procedure is if you explicitly do RETURN ERROR <obj> or if your top level .p has a ROUTINE-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW statement at the top.  i.e., This cannot happen by accident - i.e., because you forgot a CATCH block somewhere or something.  It has to be done on purpose, explicitly.  Seems like you should be able to find this and fix it.

But having said that, I agree that if you get that error (14438), we should also log the error message that caused that to happen.  You could log a bug for that if it is not happening.  

I don't think there is anything other than using the LOG-MANAGER that you can use to turn logging on/off in the middle of a session.

Posted by Torben on 04-Dec-2018 15:09

If you have implemented your own error class (inherited from Progress.Lang.AppError) then this class needs to be defined as SERIALIZABLE!

Otherwise it can not be thrown from AppServer or PASOE to client

Posted by dbeavon on 04-Dec-2018 16:23

@Laura the problem is absolutely by accident.  If ABL programs and classes are using the new SEH pattern, then they will have...

BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW.

... and errors (exceptions) cause the callstack to unwind up to a matching handler (CATCH).  If there are no matching handlers, then the error is normally considered "unhandled" and typically causes a crash (at least that's what happens in the runtimes of other technologies).  When this occurs, developers would expect to have access to the fatal error details (error type, member fields, and stack information, and ToString output.)

Exceptions frequently find themselves being unhandled for accidental reasons (as in our case).  For example, at the outer-most PersistentProcedure.p which is used for app server entry, there might be a catch block that handles *every* possible error of type Progress.Lang.AppError, but even that won't necessarily catch .Net errors (which are only catch-able using interface Progress.Lang.Error) or other types of unusual ProErrors (custom ones or otherwise).  Typically a developer will catch *ONLY* the errors that they feel they understand and know how to resolve on their own.  For any other errors they don't understand (or future ones that may not even exist yet) then they rely on the runtime to do something "reasonable" (even if that means causing the session to crash, and providing access to the error details for diagnostic purposes).

(FYI for fatal system errors a regular ABL developer would probably be unable to do any meaningful error handling .  These errors would be things like network disconnections, disks filling up, out-of-memory issues and so on.  Even PASOE itself is likely to behave in unpredictable ways - IE. it's own error handlers would likely run into errors of their own, depending on how unreliable the system became.)

To make a long story short, in the case of ABL/PASOE the runtime doesn't give us a "reasonable" mechanism for errors that are "unhandled" by custom ABL code.  I get the generic message in the agent log, and the user sees a generic message as well.  None of the underlying details about the error are provided - not even the outer-most procedure name or the -errorstack of the error.  These would otherwise allow a developer to troubleshoot and fix the problem so it doesn't keep coming up in the future.  I can't find any way that a developer to get to the bottom of this log message ("Cannot throw or return error/stop object to remote client because object is not serializable or client does not support it").  I shouldn't have to turn on 4GLTrace for the entire application just to find the related programs, then do additional custom programming in those ABL programs to catch the error and puke out the related details.

Posted by dbeavon on 04-Dec-2018 16:26

@Torben our PASOE clients are .Net openclients. So even if our error classes were SERIALIZABLE, I believe they are still unable to pass from server to client.

The only supported way to send an error back to the client is for us to encode/serialize it as a character and return it in a statement like so: RETURN ERROR ch-error.

Posted by Laura Stern on 04-Dec-2018 19:05

First of all, errors do not cause a "crash".  An error is an error.  If it is unhandled, it will kick you out of the current block context and the application/server continues on.  It may be that you have had some unhandled Stop conditions, not errors.  But even with that, these do not cause a crash.  The process remains intact. If you are at the top of the AppServer call stack, this should cause an error message to be logged and it will kick you out of the procedure, but the process is still there to service subsequent requests.  And BTW, starting in 11.7, using -catchStop (in 12 it will be the default), you can also catch unexpected Stop conditions with the same Progress.Lang.Error CATCH block.  That is because you will get a Stop object that implements the Progress.Lang.Error interface.

If you have a CATCH block at the "outer-most  PersistentProcedure.p which is used for app server entry" but it does not handle some condition, all that means is that the error message will be issued and go to the log file rather than the error going to your CATCH block which then presumably issues a message which goes to the log file.   Though I appreciate that maybe you log extra information from your CATCH block (see below regarding -debugalert).

Even though in general, you want to use BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW when doing structured error handling, you should NOT have this directive at the top-most .p that is the app server entry procedure if you never want errors to be thrown back to the client.  And in your case, you do not want that because then you then just get the error you are complaining about.

If you get a fatal error, I don't think this discussion is relevant.  The process (or session for PASOE) will be terminated.

I believe if you use -debugalert, any error that is written to the log will show a stack trace.  Though, I agree, that if this is an error that has bubbled up from somewhere else, this is not very useful.  You need the error stack information from the object itself.  If that is not output, that is a valid complaint.

I don't know what you mean be a "generic message"?  You should definitely at least see the specific error message based on what error occurred.  But this whole discussion started with you getting the error "Cannot throw or return error/stop object to remote client because object is not serializable or client does not support it".  I will repeat - just don't use BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW in the top level procedure.  That is just wrong for this .Net Open Client scenario.  And that is what is masking what the real error is.  If you weren't trying to throw it out of the server, you will see the real error in the log.

Posted by dbeavon on 04-Dec-2018 19:53

Thanks for suggestions.  I realize that I may be dealing with an issue that doesn't affect everyone, given that we use .Net openclients.

I think BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW  would work fine in the top level procedures too if all the errors were serializable *and* if my client wasn't the .Net openclient.  They would simply be passed along to the ABL client.  It would also be a lot less programming effort than putting TRY/CATCH blocks around all the logic in every method of the top-level procedures.  

However in the case of errors which aren't SERIALIZABLE, or ones that are destined for a .Net, then we see the kind of troubles I've been complaining about.

When I talked about how "unhandled" exceptions may "crash" a runtime, I was talking in general about my experience from other technologies (like .Net).  The "crash" in the context of PASOE might be analogous to what happens when using the QUIT statement from an ABL session.  Ultimately I don't really care if it "crashes" altogether or not, but I do want the escaping error details, because they are not made available to .Net and they are not made available to the PASOE logs.

As far as the "generic message" that the .Net open client gets, I mean that it is something totally unhelpful (ie. it is basically an exception that says "an error occurred", and is derived from the type Runtime4GLErrorException).  This doesn't help identify the underlying cause, any more than the message written to the PASOE logs (ie. "Cannot throw or return error/stop object to remote client because object is not serializable").

>> Just don't use BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW in the top level procedure.  That is just wrong for this .Net Open Client scenario.  And that is what is masking what the real error is.  If you weren't trying to throw it out of the server, you will see the real error in the log.

I realize this is true. As a customer that uses the .Net openclient proxy, we are forced to wrap error handling around all the top-level methods in the top-level procedures.  They all use something like this:

CATCH v_AppError 
      AS Progress.Lang.AppError :
      RETURN ERROR (IF v_AppError:ReturnValue <> ""
         THEN v_AppError:ReturnValue
         ELSE "Unknown application error in ~"TopLevel~" at line {&LINE-NUMBER}.").
   END CATCH.
   CATCH v_ProError 
      AS Progress.Lang.ProError :
      RETURN ERROR "Yet another unknown error: ". +
         v_ProError:GetMessage(1).
   END CATCH.

But if that repetitive code is ever omitted , then we get the kind of troubles I've been complaining about.  Similarly if we remember to have a CATCH block for Progress.Lang.AppError but not for another type of error (Progress.Lang.ProError or Pro.Lang.Error) then we get the kind of troubles I'm complaining about.  This type of issue is rare and troublesome considering that the PASOE runtime doesn't point us to the root source, or give any of the error or the stack detail.  If there was a way to change the configuration of agent logging on the fly then I might consider turning on 4GLTrace for the day, but this doesn't seem possible either without restarting the whole PASOE instance.

Posted by Laura Stern on 04-Dec-2018 21:01

Oh.  So you are not talking about what goes into the AppServer log.  You are talking about what gets sent back to the Open Client code.  In that I totally agree with you.  Or I should say WE totally agree with you.  In version 12, we have already fixed this, but so far only for Java Open clients.  i.e,. Error objects can now be serialized back to the client and you will get the error message and error number on the client side. So you would leave in your BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW directive and would not need your special CATCH block logic anymore.  

Unfortunately, we have not done it yet for .NET Open clients, but it is on the roadmap.  You can press product management to make this a higher priority.

And until that happens, at least you should avoid getting error 14438 by removing the BLOCK-LEVEL directive from your top-level server procedures.  Then you will at least see the error message in the AppServer log file even if it doesn't make it back to the client.

Posted by dbeavon on 05-Dec-2018 00:36

Thanks for the tips.  I was talking about both the client side and the appserver log.  One or both of them should have more error details.  

EG whenever PASOE is going out if its way to print this in the logs ("Cannot throw or return error/stop object to remote client because object is not serializable or client does not support it"). Then at that same time it could at least say which top-level procedure was involved, and the error type, and the -errorstack (if available).

Unfortunately we now have BLOCK-LEVEL directives in all our *.p and *.cls.  Otherwise Progress ABL error handling behaves in unusual ways (especially for loops that use the default ON ERROR behavior).

Without knowing which top-level procedure is failing, it is hard to remove that procedure's BLOCK-LEVEL directive.  I suppose we will probably have to shut down the PASOE instance this weekend and enable 4GLTrace logging for the following week.  That appears to be the most certain way to find the source of the error (unless the affected user will eventually call us about their error messages that they are probably getting in their application U/I).

Thanks for the news about the improved marshalling of errors from PASOE to Java.  That is definitely something we'd be interested in for the .Net openclient too.  You'd be amazed how hard we have to work to cram the relevant error information into the legacy statement, "RETURN ERROR CH-Error".  It can sometimes be a huge chunk of xml or some such thing.  Another option can involve storing the error and returning only an identifier... so that the related details can be fetched as a ProDataSet in a subsequent round-trip.

Posted by Peter Judge on 05-Dec-2018 02:58

As you note, currently, the only way to intercept any error from AppServers calls is to add the BLOCK-LEVEL directive and a CATCH block to any and all .P that’s called from a client. This is, um , clunky.

We have talked informally internally about adding some form of handler to be able to generally catch unhandled errors/exceptions in PASOE. It may be worth raising the issue of how to generally handle errors raised on an AppServer request (without having to change every entrypoint) in the CVP forum and also creating an Idea for it.

Posted by Laura Stern on 05-Dec-2018 14:07

We do provide -undothrow n (n = 1: ROUTINE-LEVEL, 2 = BLOCK-LEVEL) if you really do want these everywhere.  This takes effect at compile time.  Then you wouldn't have to code it everywhere.  But then of course, you also could not make any exceptions, as I believe you want to do in this case.  I hate to be redundant, but it seems like you should avoid having sub-procedures that need the UNDO, THROW directive in your top-level procedures such that you could just remove the directive from ALL top-level procedures instead of having to figure out which one(s) you've been having a problem with. But I will shut up now and let you handle it however you see fit  :-)

Posted by dbeavon on 05-Dec-2018 14:59

@Peter thanks for letting me know that there have already been discussions around the "escaping" errors (they may be handled by the remote client but they are unhandled in the PASOE agent.)

Ideally we could hook into first-chance errors as well as the escaping errors.  In .Net we have an appdomain with events for both:

System.AppDomain.FirstChanceException

System.AppDomain.UnhandledException

Also, the individual U/I technologies may have some similar events as well, eg. Windows.UI.Xaml.Application.UnhandledException

I would definitely hook into errors if there was a mechanism (and providing it performed reasonably well).

@Laura, thanks for the pointer to -undothrow.  I had seen that option in the past but  it seemed that it was best suited to compiling at runtime, IE. for legacy programs that are compiled dynamically and don't otherwise have a default error handling declaration.  

I don't think I would trust our code to run without the explicit BLOCK-LEVEL directives anymore.  As I recall, when omitting that directive we had to override the ON ERROR phrase of every loop that exists in our code, because otherwise the default error handling was so problematic.  Thankfully those days are behind us.

Posted by dbeavon on 13-Dec-2018 22:27

I opened a support call with Progress about the messages in the logs which alert us to mysterious and unexplainable problems (ie. "Cannot throw or return error/stop object to remote client because...").

Tech support has agreed that the only good way to track down the source of an error is to turn on the 4GLTrace for a while.  The challenge in doing that is that there isn't a way to change the PASOE logging level on the fly. So it requires a brief outage (to stop and restart the instance) in order for the change to take effect.

That isn't the end of the world.  But it involves a lot of steps, just to find some additional details about an unexpected error.  Here is the KB : knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Tracking-down-the-root-cause-of-error-14438

I should point out that we are already pretty reliable in our exception handling.  We regularly remember to put CATCH blocks in our entry-level.p programs for PASOE, and we use those blocks to convert the ABL error types and send them back to the openclient. (We have to send errors back to the .Net openclient using the legacy statement, "RETURN ERROR CH-error." ).

The only gotcha is that these CATCH statements normally limit themselves to the application error type, "Progress.Lang.AppError" (and to types that inherit from that).  So if there is an error of an unexpected internal type (eg. Progress.Lang.ProError or similar) then those will be the ones that will escape.  They are things that come up for reasons that may not have anything to do with our own business logic.  

Posted by Laura Stern on 14-Dec-2018 01:20

Just an FYI;  it may not alter the essentials of what you said.  I really can’t think of an error that does not implement the Progress.Lang.Error interface.  ProErrors certainly do.  Anyway, I don’t believe you can ever actually get a ProError itself.  That is an artificial level in the class hierarchy to distinguish from a .NET Exception, and even .NET exceptions implement the Progress.Lang.Error interface.  

I’d rather not wade through all the text above to see, and I can’t search right now (at home on my iPad), but I don’t remember you talking about Stop conditions.  If so, sorry for redundancy.  And if not SORRY I did not think of this till JUST now.  If your version is pre 11.7 (I don’t remember if you said that either) or are using some 11.7 version, but not using -catchStop 1, then Stop conditions will not be caught by a CATCH for Progress.Lang.Error.  So if you are as diligent about using structured error handling as you say, I would guess that you are getting a STOP condition.  If you are using 11.7.x I would suggest using -catchStop 1 to see if that helps.

Also, what error message(s) are you getting?  We could probably determine if these are conditions that would generate Stop.

Posted by dbeavon on 14-Dec-2018 05:07

The only message is 14438.  I thought about the possibility that this might be a STOP too (and was therefore bypassing my apperror CATCH statements.) But there were no lock wait timeout messages in the agent logs, and I can't imagine STOP coming up this frequently for any other reason.

I'm fairly convinced now that these are Progress.Lang.Error which represent a .Net problem.  We use .Net very little in abl, but it is possibly just enough to see a few of these 14438 messages every day.   I suppose that if we are going to use the clr bridge more frequently (now that we are getting out of HpUx) then we should probably start adding the extra CATCH statements in order to handle anything based on the Progress.Lang.Error interface.  

Something came to my mind today about Progress errors. Don't you have a secret way to edit the PROMSGS file to incorporate special behaviors?  Ie. so that an occurrence of a rare error, like 14438, will trigger memory dumps, stack traces (prostack and native) and give us better clues about the source of the problem?

I think that the sysinternals "process monitor" is also able to show the stack trace for every file operation (eg at the moment that the 14438 message is written to the log)  That would probably give an obscure native stack, But I doubt it would help identify the prostack.

Ultimately I will probably just restart pasoe with 4gltrace level 2.

Posted by Laura Stern on 17-Dec-2018 14:18

Rather than modify messages and do memory dumps, I would suggest that we just do what you've been alluding to all along - write the original message to the log file (for an AppServer) that caused the 14438 (along with the 14438).  You can log a bug for this.

And in general, if this comes from a thrown error object, the stack trace from the object should be output if -debugalert is on.  This latter behavior SHOULD already be there, as that is what happens in the GUI version (i.e., the dialog from the Help button of the error alert box).  If not, that is a bug.

And yes, if your CATCH blocks are not for Progress.Lang.Error, they should be.  Not sure why they wouldn't be already.

Posted by dbeavon on 18-Dec-2018 00:18

>> You can log a bug for this.

I did report this to Progress tech support.

The support case essentially end with a KB article that implies things are working as designed, see knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Tracking-down-the-root-cause-of-error-14438 ... The recommended method of troubleshooting this error message is to turn on "4GLTrace" log entry type.

>>  If your CATCH blocks are not for Progress.Lang.Error, they should be.  Not sure why they wouldn't be already.

Typically a programmer should only catch errors that they know how to handle.  Outside of those specific types of errors, we rely on the execution context (ie. the runtime/framework) to do something intelligent and well-defined with the remaining errors that aren't caught.  Typically the unhandled errors should be printed somewhere for post-mortem analysis, and then the execution context should be stopped and abandoned (ie. in the case of PASOE, the ABL session should probably be recycled).

CATCH blocks are designed to handle errors of a specific type.  The error type is used as a filter to the CATCH block.  It is true that, in addition to handling well-understood application errors, I could also choose to write a CATCH block for "Progress.Lang.Error", but that seems like a very last-resort.  And it isn't likely that I'll add any value by handling every unforeseeable and unexpected error in my custom code. IE Anything I might do in my custom code is the exact same thing that I would otherwise have expected the runtime/framework to do for me in the first place!  (But of course, PASOE is not currently helping us very much with our unexpected errors).

Note that the AppError class is documented to be the "ultimate super class of all application errors".  Our custom application errors are derived from it.   By catching all AppError classes (and any derived classes), we are taking care of our own responsibilities.  Any error types outside of this are "above our pay grade" so to speak, and we would expect the runtime/framework to pick up the ball and perform some behavior that is intelligent and well-defined.

Posted by Laura Stern on 18-Dec-2018 14:41

Any error can be "handled" by simply displaying the error message.  So there is nothing harmful about CATCHing errors that you have no further handling to do other than that.  And yes, if you don't CATCH it, that is what will happen anyway (i.e., the message gets displayed).  But this whole discussion started by the fact that since you are using Open Client and you cannot throw an error back to the .NET client, you need to make sure that all errors are CAUGHT at the top level so you can do your RETURN ERROR logic.  You can never guarantee that a system error will not happen.  Unexpected things DO happen.  So that is why you should be catching Progress.Lang.Error, at least in the top level procedures on the server.

And without that, the runtime/framework is "picking up the ball" and behaving exactly as documented.  Though I think we already both agree that the AVM should also log the original error message when you get the 14438 message.  But to avoid that message altogether, you should just be catching Progress.Lang.Error objects.

Posted by dbeavon on 18-Dec-2018 15:30

On a practical level I agree with you (when using the CLR bridge, for example) .  Especially since the "Progress.Lang.Error" appears to be the go-to exception that is raised for a variety of unrelated reasons.  I will probably wrap CATCH-Progress.Lang.Error around any specific blocks of code that use the CLR bridge. (But I still wouldn't necessarily do this in every single entry-level procedure).

On a theoretical level I strongly disagree with writing CATCH handlers for Progress.Lang.Error.  Outside of our own AppError-derived errors, our custom programming doesn't necessarily have to be concerned with "system" errors that may be thrown.  (Eg. out-of-memory exceptions, disk full exceptions, network disconnections, database unavailable exceptions, etc.) I've always heard that you should *only* catch exceptions that you know how to handle with your own custom code.

Those types of "system" or "runtime" errors are interesting, but only insofar as I want their details for post-mortem analysis.  There is very little that an ABL programmer can do to mitigate the problem if the OS itself (or the runtime) has decided to turn against you.  

And yes, in theory it can be harmful to CATCH errors and handle them in a poor way.  For example, if you are already out of disk space and your catch block is written to write a lot of additional information to the disk, then that error handling can be counter-productive and it might even obscure the original error. Similarly if the network fails and your error handling involves trying to use the network, then that is counter-productive for the same reasons.    These are fairly extreme examples, because we are talking about fairly unexpected errors.  

Posted by dbeavon on 10-Jan-2019 18:21

Thanks for the tip about -debugalert.  That will save me tons of time when working with our PASOE (both in dev and production).  I wish I had known about it sooner.

I did already know about -errorstack, but whenever I needed stack information it was unavailable and I was having to do programming to gather it after the fact.  In other words, my work involved some retroactive & manual programming effort to extract the stack information.  This is challenging if errors are only occurring in production.  Also it was a catch-22 because without having the stack information in the first place, I don't know where to put my manual code that extracts stack information.

Using -debugalert with -errorstack is going to be a life-saver, provided it's not too noisy.  At first glance, it doesn't print anything to the agent log for run-of-the-mill application errors (ie. when returning regular errors via "RETURN ERROR").  That is a good thing because it means that the logs will only show unexpected/unhandled errors that a programmer hasn't accounted for.

Here are the details about -debugalert if anyone is interested in using them for PASOE:

https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/dpspr%2Fdebug-alert-(-debugalert).html%23

...If the error was generated by throwing an error object from the ABL code and the Error Stack (-errorstack) startup parameter is used, or the ERROR-STACK-TRACE attribute on the SESSION system handle is set to true, then the stack trace also includes the contents of the CallStack property for the unhandled error. 

By comparison .Net, has a ToString() method which will show both the message and the stack trace by default (unless people override it and do something unfortunate that obscures that infromation).  I wish ABL had a well-defined "ToString()" operation that would just puke out everything you need to know about an error and its source.  As things work today, we need to do quite a lot of custom programming to get the same level of information that .Net gives in ToString().  To make things even more interesting,  some ABL error types (like Progress.Lang.AppError) put the error in weird places (ReturnValue) instead of the standard places defined by the generic interface, Progress.Lang.Error.    I would always expect meaningful information from the Progress.Lang.Error (via GetMessage/NumMessages) but sometimes these return nothing at all.

Posted by Laura Stern on 10-Jan-2019 19:06

Regarding some errors, like AppError, putting the error in weird places: No, we put the string you pass into the appropriate place based on the API method you use.  NEW AppError(<string>) is documented to set the ReturnValue property, not the error message.  NEW AppError(<string>, <number>) will set an error message and error number.  You just have to call the one you want!

However we do acknowledge that this interface is not intuitive and so many people make the mistake of setting the ReturnValue by mistake when they meant to set an error string.  So we do apologize for that!

Posted by dbeavon on 10-Jan-2019 20:47

My recollection is that, where AppError's are concerned, the most natural place to put an error is in the ReturnValue.  I think that THROW'ing an AppError with a ReturnValue is equivalent to using the legacy statement : "RETURN ERROR CH-error" (*** docs below ***).   This is also the way in which our remote openclients have always received an error message which had been raised within appserver.

*** From docs:  When the AVM encounters the RETURN ERROR statement, it implicitly throws a Progress.Lang.AppError error object and places any error string in the object's ReturnValue property.

Given how natural it is to put something in the AppError ReturnValue, it is odd that the generic "Progress.Lang.Error" interface seems to have no ability to retrieve the "ReturnValue" error message from one of these AppErrors.  It would be nice if there was a ToString() abstraction that would get the error details regardless of whether they were stored in ReturnValue or in GetMessage/NumMessages.  (Maybe it should give the stack information too, while we're at it).   EG. Below is a block of code which proves that no meaningful message can be extracted from an AppError via the "Progress.Lang.Error" interface:

BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW.
DEFINE VARIABLE p_Error AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INIT "Unexpected". 

/* ************************************************************************ */
/* Do the work, and return failures in p_Error.                             */
/* ************************************************************************ */
DO ON ERROR UNDO, THROW:

RUN MyLogic/ThrowAndCatch/ThrowError.p. 

CATCH v_ErrorInterface AS Progress.Lang.Error :

/* Build message from Progress.Lang.Error      */ 
      DEFINE VARIABLE v_LoopMessages AS INTEGER INITIAL 1 NO-UNDO.
      DEFINE VARIABLE v_ErrorMessages AS CHARACTER INITIAL "" NO-UNDO.
      DO v_LoopMessages = 1 TO v_ErrorInterface:NumMessages:

/* Concatenate them all together */
         v_ErrorMessages = v_ErrorMessages + v_ErrorInterface:GetMessage(v_LoopMessages) + " ".
      END.

p_Error =   "An error was encountered in {&FILE-NAME}. " +
                  "It has " + STRING(v_ErrorInterface:NumMessages > 0, "message: /no message.") + v_ErrorMessages.

/* Done */
      RETURN.         

END CATCH.

END. /* DO */

The code in my MyLogic/ThrowAndCatch/ThrowError.p can be RETURN ERROR "RETURNED ERROR". or it can be UNDO, THROW NEW Progress.Lang.AppError("THROWN ERROR").  In both cases, an AppError is raised, and in neither case is the related message going to be accessible via the generic Progress.Lang.Error interface.

One thing that is really quite mysterious to me is why the PASOE agent log knows that -debugalert should be used to print the details about certain errors and not others. Does it filter out ALL error classes that are AppError (or derived from AppError) ?  Or perhaps it maybe it is able to distinguish between when errors are escaping via RETURN ERROR, rather than UNDO, THROW ?  I will try to hunt for a KB.  It seems odd that PASOE makes a clear distinction between two types of errors - ones that should or should not be printed to the agent log.  However from within ABL itself, there is no distinction between the errors (unless it is somehow based on the class type of the error).

Posted by Laura Stern on 11-Jan-2019 03:19

Yes indeed, putting the sting into the Return value was done to be equivalent with doing RETURN ERROR string.  And that is “natural” when returning an error to an open client that does not yet have the capacity to deal with anything else.  But in a more modern application, the “natural” thing to do is to set the string as an error message.

It is not odd at all that the Progress.Lang.Error interface does not give you the ability to retrieve the Return Value.  Progress.Lang.Error Is an interface that is shared by all the error objects, and most of them, all but AppError, do not have a Return Value.  Therefore the interface doesn’t have it.  And if a P.L.Error is caught you can get the Return Value by checking if the type of the instance is an AppError.  If it is, you can cast it to an AppError and access the ReturnValue property.  That is the way OO works.

However, I do agree that it would be good if ToString() gave you all the error messages as a concatenation string, and for an AppError instance, the ReturnValue would be included as well.  That way, all you need is ToString, and regardless of what type you’ve caught, it will give you what you want.  

Regarding PASOE giving different information for different error types, I was not aware of that.  I suspect it is the difference between RETURN ERROR vs throwing an error object.  But in general, the error handling model was designed to interoperate between the older and newer models in one coherent, integrated fashion.  Therefore, it is doing this, I would consider it a bug.  

Posted by dbeavon on 11-Jan-2019 14:54

>> But in a more modern application, the “natural” thing to do is to set the string as an error message

I think the constructor of AppError that takes a single character string (and puts it in the ReturnValue) will always remain very popular.  The one that also takes a "MessageNumber" parameter seems way too bureaucratic.  It seems to imply that we need to maintaining a registry of all possible errors before our programs are allowed to raise any errors.  The truth is that programs will always have reasons for failure, whether there is a previously registered "MessageNumber" for it or not.

Maybe the constructor that takes a single character should also add a default Message/MessageNumber pair internally (with a default MessageNumber of MaxInteger or -1 or something).

>> I suspect it is the difference between RETURN ERROR vs throwing an error object.

This is what I was thinking too.  It is a good thing that data doesn't print to the agent log except in very limited circumstances.  The RETURN ERROR statement is how "openclient" applications expect to receive business logic errors, and these would fill up the agent log very, very quickly because they happen as a matter of course.

Peter Judge mentioned this before, but there needs needs to be some way (a method/trigger/event) for us to perform an ABL action based on errors that are "escaping" from an ABL session in PASOE.  It should be up to us to determine what type of stuff is interesting enough to write to the PASOE agent logs.  (We could be responsible for doing this ourselves via calls to the LOG-MANGER from the escaping-error-action-code.)

Currently it seems like black magic that PASOE can distinguish between AppErrors that are THROWN out of PASOE instead of sent out via RETURN ERROR.  We've always had to write this type of error handling in all our top-level classic appserver entry programs:

CATCH v_AppError AS Progress.Lang.AppError:

RETURN ERROR v_AppError:ReturnValue.

END CATCH.

If you don't have this block, then we see the following unhelpful message in our "classic" agent logs: AS -- Attempt to throw or return an error object to the client (14438).  Having the block above should NOT be necessary considering the fact that a THROWN AppError("MyMessage") is virtually identical to RETURN ERRROR "MyMessage". It seems like black magic that PASOE can make a distinction between the two because, from within ABL itself, there doesn't seem to be a way to determine the difference via S.E.H.

There is additional information in the KB that confirms a difference (in classic appserver) between when an AppError is raised via "THROW" or "RETURN ERROR". See:

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000045832

Since moving to PASOE I haven't yet reviewed whether there is still a distinction between the two ways to raise AppError.  We still have quite a large amount of code running in both "Classic" and "PASOE" so it may be a while before we can remove all those repetitive CATCH-RETURN-ERROR blocks from all our appserver entry programs.

Posted by Torben on 11-Jan-2019 15:42

You also have the possibility to create your own error class then inherits from AppError and in the class constructer(s) set both ReturnValue and AddMessage

CONSTRUCTOR PUBLIC Error (c_ReturnValue AS CHARACTER):
      SUPER(c_ReturnValue).
      THIS-OBJECT:AddMessage(IF c_ReturnValue, 0).
   END CONSTRUCTOR.

CONSTRUCTOR PUBLIC Error (c_Message AS CHARACTER, i_Message AS INTEGER):
      SUPER(c_Message, i_Message).
      THIS-OBJECT:ReturnValue = c_Message.
   END CONSTRUCTOR.

Posted by Peter Judge on 11-Jan-2019 15:48

An alternative to creating an override is to force the AppError to put the message into the message stack (not the return value). Do this by using the (char, int) constructor.

def var whoopsie as Progress.Lang.AppError.

whoopsie = new AppError('bah humbug').
    whoopsie:ReturnValue skip    // bah humbug
    whoopsie:GetMessage(1)       // <empty>
    view-as alert-box error.

whoopsie = new AppError('bah humbug', 0). // ? also works
    whoopsie:GetMessage(1)       // bah humbug
    view-as alert-box error.

Posted by dbeavon on 17-Jan-2019 20:21

An update on this.... Irfan claims that in production on 11.7.4 I should be able to change the logging level on the fly.  

This should allow me to turn up logging to 4 (extended) for long enough to capture the source of a problem and then turn it off again.

The key is a property, "allowRuntimeUpdates", in PASOE.  As important as this sounds, I am not getting a lot of hits for that property in my google searches.  I'm really hoping it works as described!  I may have to stop pre-existing agent processes for the change to take effect, but even that would be a fairly reasonable compromise.

Posted by dbeavon on 17-Jan-2019 20:23

An update on this ... Irfan thinks that logging levels might be able to change on the fly via a PASOE property, allowRuntimeUpdates, which is in OE 11.7.4

Posted by dbeavon on 18-Jan-2019 20:43

Yes, I can confirm that logging changes will take effect if you use allowRuntimeUpdates=1  

The change to the logging can made in OEE, or via openedge.properties.  

I wish this (allowRuntimeUpdates) was the default behavior.  At least where logging levels are concerned, this is a pretty critical feature!  Now we can easily troubleshoot ABL problems and error messages that only seem to occur in production.

This thread is closed