PASOE tomcat tray monitor application in windows (tomcat8w.e

Posted by dbeavon on 20-Nov-2018 16:02

I'm guessing this is not fully supported since I've seen no references to it from Progress.  There is a "monitor application" for tomcat on windows:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html

If you look in the servers/pasoe/bin folder you will find it (tomcat8w.exe).

I tried it like so from a proenv command prompt.

proenv>cd C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin

proenv>tomcat8w //MS//oepas1

It adds a little application into your tray like so.  This allows you to start and stop the service without using the tcman service command (or the windows equivalent, sc).

The main reason I find this tool compelling is because it can show you the active java configuration.  The jvm properties are not accurate anywhere else.  As I have painfully discovered, the "jvm.properties" file that is found in the catalina base conf folder is only accurate as-of the last time you registered your windows service (with tcman service register).

So if you want to know the REAL configuration that is in effect then you can try out the tomcat8w.  But as a word of caution I would avoid changing jvm options from here.  It is almost certainly not supported.  A better option is to unregister, change conf/jvm.properties, and then re-register your PASOE instance (oepas1) as a service again.

proenv>C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\bin\tcman service oepas1 unregister
oepas1 is unregistered

proenv>C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\bin\tcman service oepas1 register
oepas1 service is registered

proenv>C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas1\bin\tcman service oepas1 start

Hope this is clear.  As a final note, remember to use the \bin\tcman that is found IN YOUR PASOE INSTANCE (like I did above).  DO NOT use the tcman that is found in the Progress DLC binary directory.  Whoever had the bright idea of placing a bunch of commands in two places with the exact same names should take a long vacation and re-examine that design.   When I was new to PASOE I regularly used the wrong copies of these commands (mostly because I assumed they were the same) and my experiences with PASOE were very bad, as you can imagine.  The copies of these commands in your PASOE instance directory are custom-made for operating on your instance.   

Posted by Peter Judge on 20-Nov-2018 16:20

There’s  a wrapper called pasman that you can use from proenv; “pasman -I <instance-alias>” (that’s an “eye” not an “ell”) is basically the same as the tcman that’s in the instance’s bin directory. The instance tcman does *not* require proenv so I tend to run it in a naked shell/CLI.

Doc on pasman is at documentation.progress.com/.../index.html .

I tend to use the instance’s tcman from within the instance folder but there are times when you need to use the version in $DLC (when  creating and un/registering instances for example). The doc about lists a bunch of those too.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 20-Nov-2018 16:20

There’s  a wrapper called pasman that you can use from proenv; “pasman -I <instance-alias>” (that’s an “eye” not an “ell”) is basically the same as the tcman that’s in the instance’s bin directory. The instance tcman does *not* require proenv so I tend to run it in a naked shell/CLI.

I tend to use the instance’s tcman from within the instance folder but there are times when you need to use the version in $DLC (when  creating and un/registering instances for example). The doc about lists a bunch of those too.

This thread is closed