OE Upgrades and their impact on the PASOE management U/I (OE

Posted by dbeavon on 15-Nov-2018 15:16

I was a bit stumped by this at first so I thought I'd point it out here in case anyone else is affected.  There have been some improvements to the OEE user interface.  In particular, the management of a PASOE instance works a bit differently.  See the current interface below (OE 11.7.4):

My problem was that a number of PASOE instances were upgraded from OE 11.7.3 to OE 11.7.4, and some of them appeared correctly (as you see above) but others did not.  For example if I connected to the OEE port (9090) on several PASOE machines, some would look like you see above, but others would be totally scrambled and incoherent, often missing the navigation panel at the left, under the "Stop" button.

Since I'm not a web developer it didn't occur to me why certain of our upgrades to 11.7.4 worked fine and others did not.  Our upgrade procedures were exactly the same in all cases.  It turned out that the reason for this had nothing to do with the OE or PASOE upgrades, nor the underlying installations.  It was all about the *caching* of OEE website resources in my browser.  What I'm told is that there are css files and other things that could impact the rendering of the screen.  If these aren't flushed out, or the cache isn't "busted" in some deliberate way using unique path to upgraded assets, then the client's browser may continue using OE11.7.3 assets in order to render an OE11.7.4 interface.  This can cause a lot of unexpected issues (ie. a scrambled and incoherent user interface).

Hope this is clear.  I know how to clear my browser cache but it didn't occur to me that this type of thing would need to be done manually after an upgrade.  I guess I expected that those cached assets would auto-magically get purged after a timeout.  I kept hoping that these OEE interfaces eventually would go back to normal after a subsequent service restart or reboot, or something like that but that didn't happen until I deliberately purged my browser cache.  Hope this helps anyone else who may be doing the same upgrades.  

Posted by Matt Baker on 15-Nov-2018 15:39

Hi dbeavon,

Thanks for this.  Usually a quick "ctrl+f5" will fix layout issues like this.

I'll log a bug to have this fixed permanently

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 15-Nov-2018 15:39

Hi dbeavon,

Thanks for this.  Usually a quick "ctrl+f5" will fix layout issues like this.

I'll log a bug to have this fixed permanently

This thread is closed