Running an Individual Program in a Progress Developer Studio

Posted by v205 on 17-Oct-2018 15:12

Hello:

I have an OpenEdge project called "Test" that I created in PDSOE 11.7. I am trying to run a simple program called "custom.p" from that project that needs to display an ALERT-BOX using the MESSAGE statement. 

I have tried various things including setting up Launch Configuration that allows ALERT=BOXES etc. but I am puzzled as to why it is so difficult to test a simple program using PDS.

Any pointers or information are much appreciated. 

Thanks,

h

Posted by v205 on 18-Oct-2018 09:18

Thanks, Sanjeev.

This code sample you sent certainly worked, but my own version of custom.p with a similar message still would not work and then I went digging a little further. It turns out compiling the project that contains all the code does the trick. Also, it is important to restart the AVM.

All Replies

Posted by sauqad on 17-Oct-2018 22:49

Kindly provide more information such as type of error message, any log information.

If you are trying to fetch customer reecords, check database is connected or not.

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 17-Oct-2018 23:08

Hello,

If you are looking for simple display of a message statement using alert box try the below code in custom.p and then you can run the file from editor context menu options saying Run As > Progress OpenEdge Application. You can find the same in attached screenshot. Also let us know what errors are you seeing when you run the fil.

Sample code:
DEFINE VARIABLE a   AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE VARIABLE b   AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE VARIABLE res AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.

ASSIGN
    a = 10
    b = 20.
res = a + b.

MESSAGE res
    VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

Thanks,
Sanjeev

Thanks, Sanjeev.

This code sample you sent certainly worked, but my own version of custom.p with a similar message still would not work and then I went digging a little further. It turns out compiling the project that contains all the code does the trick. Also, it is important to restart the AVM.

Hello. There were no errors; just that the code was not producing the alert-box.

Posted by Rutger Olthuis on 19-Oct-2018 03:56

To check if your code actually runs you can either use the debugger or... add something like

define variable a as decimal no-undo.

assign a = decimal("a").

no errors during compile time, but for sure an error at run time. If you don't get the runtime error, your code just doesn't run.

It could be you've created a run configuration where you're explicitly running some other .p

This thread is closed