10.0B IDE

Posted by jrobinson@dstewart.com on 15-Oct-2018 09:38

Hi there,

First time poster.  Glad to be aboard!

I'm working with a company that has an old version of Progress.  We're looking into an upgrade, but for the moment I need to do some development and teach myself some 4GL syntax.

First thing though is that I'd like to find an IDE that would allow me to connect to the database and try out some code on that version.  Does anyone known where I should look?

Thanks!

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 15-Oct-2018 11:14

Have you had a look at the free OpenEdge Classroom Edition?

It’s 11.7 and Progress Developer Studio (Eclipse based IDE).

Von: jrobinson@dstewart.com <bounce-jrobinsondstewartcom@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 18:10
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] 10.0B IDE

/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/1460.image001.png
Update from Progress Community
/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/8712.image002.png

Hi there,

First time poster.  Glad to be aboard!

I'm working with a company that has an old version of Progress.  We're looking into an upgrade, but for the moment I need to do some development and teach myself some 4GL syntax.

First thing though is that I'd like to find an IDE that would allow me to connect to the database and try out some code on that version.  Does anyone known where I should look?

Thanks!

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Das Bild wurde vom Absender entfernt.

Posted by jrobinson@dstewart.com on 15-Oct-2018 11:25

Thanks Mike!  You mentioned 11.7.  Is the classroom edition able to do backwards compatibility to 10.0B?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 15-Oct-2018 11:52

No, that is not possible.

But you mentioned that you are about to upgrade. So I'd getbused to this IDE as quick as possible.

Sent from Nine

Von: "jrobinson@dstewart.com" <bounce-jrobinsondstewartcom@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 18:48
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] 10.0B IDE

Update from Progress Community
jrobinson@dstewart.com

Thanks Mike!  You mentioned 11.7.  Is the classroom edition able to do backwards compatibility to 10.0B?

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by jrobinson@dstewart.com on 15-Oct-2018 12:21

We're not necessarily about to upgrade, but are looking into it.  Does your response mean that there is no IDE (free or not) that includes a backwards compatibility setting?

Posted by jrobinson@dstewart.com on 15-Oct-2018 12:23

Thanks again.  Does your response imply that there is no way (free or not) to get a hold of an IDE that does backwards compatibility?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Oct-2018 12:46

The first step is probably to find out what you already have.  If you have source code, then you almost certainly have a compiler license somewhere.  While clumsy, that at least would allow you to develop in the editor of your choice (or what you are stuck with) .  This will be labeled 4GL Development System.   Or, you may have one or more Query licenses which will allow you to run read-only programs.  Or, you may have one of the earlier IDE products.  Depends a lot on what was done with the application previously.  To be sure, the newest IDE is much, much nicer than anything that might be there already, but if you can find these licenses they would allow you to get started and provide a way to compile code you wrote in the classroom edition so that they will run against your current database ... and help provide motivation for upgrading!

Posted by gus bjorklund on 15-Oct-2018 13:00

Good to hear you are upgrading.

Version 10.0 is nearly 15 years old.

I bet you don’t have any other software that is that old.

Posted by jrobinson@dstewart.com on 15-Oct-2018 13:10

[mention:22b0915eb76243a69eb580cf41e9ee92:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] we may be upgrading.  Not for sure yet.  What do I have to do in order to make my posts not have to wait for the moderator?\

[mention:6911e6cc8725416dba58ae08a80faffd:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] your comment went a bit over my head.  How would I begin to find out what I already have?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 15-Oct-2018 14:04

Check the start menu on your machine.  Is there an icon for “User Interface Builder” or “AppBuilder”?  If so, then there you go.

Brian Maher
Principal Engineer, Technical Support
Progress
Progress
14 Oak Park | Bedford, MA 01730 | USA
phone
+1 781 280 3075

Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Google+

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Oct-2018 14:38

Well, I assumed that someone in the company would be in charge and know these things.  You have not really told us anything about the background.  Like what OS the DB and clients are on, what the architecture is (shared memory, appserver, etc.), whether there is a shop of other developers or you are on your own, whether there was someone who is no longer there, etc.  No, you can't get a classroom addition for version 10.  At the very least you are going to need 4GL development license for 10 to compile general programs for use in the current environment (or query for read only).  So, give us some context.

This thread is closed